Chapter 16

Despite her headache, she managed to track down some of her comrades. There was a fire deeper in the forest, so her path was restricted. She followed a presence that she really needed now. Momo. "Momo, are you okay?!" Momo sat in a semicircle with Aoyama, but also some of the B class. "Kaede, what are you doing here?" None of the others had severe injuries, but they were wearing gas masks. "What's going on, what are the masks for?" Momo gave her one too. "There is a mist deeper in the forest that makes you sleepy, so I created masks and distributed them to the students. But weren't you at the dormitory?" "I was there, but we were attacked. I'm trying to track everyone down and round them up." "I know you want to help," Yosetsu interjected, "but it's better if you don't put yourself in additional danger. We should find a way back to Vlad King and..." "You speak out of fear." "What?" "I feel it. You are afraid. I could take away your fear, you know, but it would be unnatural, fear protects you. I'm afraid too, very much so. I'm afraid my friends will die. If I go now and find out they're dead... I couldn't forgive myself. If I make an effort, I can feel them. I feel Izuku, somewhere back there." She pointed in a direction." He doesn't even feel his pain anymore, just adrenaline and his goal. He wants to save. I want to save. So I go." They stared at her, incredulous. "I go where I can best help. You help best by going to Vlad. We'll know you're already safe." "Well, if you think you can make it..." "I can make it. Take care of yourselves." Kaede would have liked to stay, but at that moment she felt a twinge again. Izuku. He had such strong feelings, such ambition. The next moment she heard a voice in her head. "The professional hero Eraserhead gives you permission to use your Quirk, I repeat, the professional hero Eraserhead gives you permission to use your Quirk." A few moments later another announcement came. "A target of the villains is known, it is Kaccan. I repeat it is..." Kaede stopped. Katsuki? She cursed herself. If only she had thought, it's obvious what the villains want. By kidnapping students, students with a threatening Quirk, a dark Quirk like Fumikage's, or students with tempers like Bakugo's, they would scare society. Fear that aspiring heroes could become villains. And as Kaede thought about it, it occurred to her that after all these weeks as Katsuki's classmate, she knew that one impact would make him forget what it meant to be a hero. She didn't trust him to join the villains, never, but she didn't want to underestimate what the villains were capable of. While she was running in any direction and had no orientation, she waited for one of her classmates to give a sign, and so it happened. When she sensed Fumikage, she made a complete turn and sprinted in his direction. He was about to lose control. Kaede herself knew the helpless feeling of having everything slipping away from her. Dark Shadow roared almost so loudly that Kaede's ears bled. He lashed out wildly, tearing out trees and throwing them around. He was already taking up so much space that Fumikage disappeared inside him. Kaede thought for a moment how she could help Fumikage back to control, then she decided to weaken Dark shadow. She stepped out of hiding and dodged a tree flying straight at her. She pointed her hand at Dark Shadow and let out golden light. Golden streaks formed and wrapped around dark shadow. He roared angrily, but grew smaller and smaller. Kaede could see Fumikage trying hard to regain control. His breathing was shallow and sweat dripped from his forehead. "Fumikage, you can do this, you are not alone!" He looked down at her and slowly Dark Shadow seemed to retreat into himself. Tense, Fumikage knelt on the floor and shivered. Kaede ran to him. He was trembling, as he bent forward she helped him vomit. "Fumikage!" Mezo came running, Izuku on his back. "Fumikage, are you all right?!" He nodded, exhausted. Kaede eyed Mezo and Izuku. "Izuku, what did you do?" He looked at her, completely upset, as if he was high, "Nothing, we need to find Kaccan." "Mezo, what did he do?" "He ran into me like this, I don't know." "We have to get to Kaccan now, we have to help him!" "Izuku, you need to calm down. I know where Katsuki is, nor is he safe. One thing at a time." She turned to Fumikage. "How are you, can you stand up?" He nodded, so she supported him until he stood. "Izuku is right, we should move on to Katsuki now." Kaede turned to Izuku. "Show me your injuries." He tried to talk his way out of it, but she sparked angrily at him, emphasising each word. "Show. Me. Your. Injuries." She allowed no resistance. It looked horrible. His arms were bloodied, blue-purple, full of cracks and scratches. "Izuku, can you feel this?" She palpated them. "Yes." "You don't. You're full of adrenaline. I can try to take away the pain, in case it comes back." She put her hand on his forehead. Slowly she released her hand, leaving only the tips of her fingers, until she slowly pulled them away too. Golden mist clung to her fingertips, but it dissipated. "I can't." She whispered more to herself than to the others. "It didn't work, I guess I'm too exhausted." She forced a smile and rose again. "Then let's go to Katsuki."