20: Hero license Arc

Hawks flew to the roof where the others landed. "You were really fast." "Aren't I the hero who's always a little too fast? Besides, you've already been seen falling from a long distance away. I rushed straight here." "Hawks?" The other students stood at the edge of the roof, still in shock from Kaede's fall. "What is Hawks doing here?" "Rescuing you of course, what does it look like?" He glanced around the roof. "I don't know what you three are up to now" he pointed at Izuku, Tenya and Eijiro "But Kaede needs to see a hospital now." Everyone now glanced at Kaede, who was still in Hawk's arms trying to stifle her cough. "It's not that bad guys." Katsuki interjected angrily: "But please spare me this shit. Look at you, you look worse than Aizawa when he wasn't sleeping." Kaede frowned, she didn't like that comparison. "I will fly her away, watch out for little bakubird." Hawks nodded at the young heroes. "You know, I'm not allowed to say it officially, but if Kaede were awake I'm sure she'd say you did a good job too."

When the others were gone, Hawks turned to Bakugo, who waited. "Are you all right?"
Bakugo stared at Hawks. "What is your connection to Kaede?" Hawks played it off with a smile. "What are you talking about? I just saved her." Katsuki didn't let up. "At the sports festival, you were the only one let in to see her then. Recovery girl sent us otters away." Hawks narrowed his eyes to slits. "I'm warning you, you shouldn't stick your nose in other people's business." "But Kaede is not a stranger. We're classmates. We were fucking kidnapped together." Hawks looked attentively at Bakugo, then at Kaede, and he noticed the wound on her arm again. "You saw it, didn't you?" Katsuki did not answer. "If she's your comrade, you'll know that some things are better left unsaid, right?" Threateningly, Hawks came closer. "If I hear of anyone finding out about the chip, I swear to you that I will make sure I am the last one to ever see you alive."

...

Bakugo had gone into hiding with the others in the streets and the crowds. Hawks flew Kaede to a hospital as quickly as he could. "We checked her through. A cut on her arm, burns on her legs, arms and face as well as bruises all over her body. The patient has mild smoke inhalation and her brain activity is fluctuating around the mean. On the whole, she escaped without serious injury, but she is breathing heavily, coughing and very hot, without us knowing why." Hawks nodded. "You doctors take care of the external injuries, I'll do the rest." Hawks walked into the hospital room and Kaede's eyes fluttered. "How are you feeling?" "I feel too much." "You'll be fine, it'll pass." He grabbed her hand and squeezed it, but she looked at him with tears in her eyes. "It doesn't feel like it's going to pass." Kaede swallowed. "It's like back then, it hurts like back then. If I don't control it they will lock me away again, they will..." She choked, coughed and grabbed her throat in panic. "Breathe, calmly. We won't let them take you. Aizawa and I will take care of you. We trust you to stay in control, we..." "I don't want to feel this, I don't want to take any chances." He took her face in his hands and forced her to look at him. "Promise me you will feel your feelings. It's hard, I know, but there are such wonderful feelings too. They are worth the agony." "How am I supposed to know if the beautiful feelings make up for the bad ones? I don't know what to do. Everything is in my head. it's so disorganised. I can't promise to stay in control when my feelings are so unstable." "Then get to know your feelings. If you lose your control, you won't be alone, not anytime soon anyway. Aizawa will be there, your friends. And if you have to do it alone, you'll be ready." "I don't know," she cried out. She closed her eyes and leaned against his hand. "But I know, trust me. Everything will be okay."
It was so easy for him to say that.

...

Kaede was questioned by Tsukauchi a few hours later. He asked about the villains and whether they had mentioned anything, but because she had been asleep most of the time, she had not heard much. "I'm sorry I'm not much help." The policeman seemed absent and upset. Completely overworked, he rummaged around in the papers. "It's okay." She was dismissed and received directly by Aizawa. "There you are kid." For a moment she thought that was all, but he took her hand and led her out of the crowded corridors, out to a taxi. "When I heard you went after Katsuki, I didn't know what to think. I was afraid for you. Afraid of what the villains would do to you." Her hands cramped in the clothes she had received from the hospital. "I was no help. I ran after Katsuki without thinking. I was lying unconscious in a corner all the time and was just a burden. Everyone was worried about me." He looked at her and shook his head. "But it wasn't just fear that ruled me. I was, I'm proud of you." He put a finger under her chin and lifted it, "You saved so many, fought so hard. And even when you were exhausted, you didn't let the villains triumph. Even though I think it was very stupid, you saved Katsuki. If you hadn't been there, they would have put Katsuki to sleep and he wouldn't have been able to defend himself. It was only because of your chip that we were able to track you at all." "A bit of a shame Toga removed it. I actually wanted to keep it. As a reminder." Kaede wiped the tears from her face. "Thank you." He took her in his arms. For a few moments she enjoyed the warmth of his embrace. She felt safe and protected, but Aizawa's conscience made it exhausting to ignore that fact. "Tell me the bad news."