Chapter 22

Now that the normal school day began, Kaede turned her focus to her classmates. The rivalry between Izuku and Katsuki had developed into something unhealthy, she realised at the latest when they were both suspended. But the more she concentrated on the others, the weaker her control became.

Shota Aizawa sat at his computer and worked. He always liked to do something productive at night in the dark, when everyone else was asleep. At least, that's how he put up with the drudgery of the students sneaking onto the training grounds at night and destroying things. Now, when the signal sounded, he ruffled his hair and wanted to punch the beeping equipment. "They're in for a treat! Not with me." "Student action with battle damage on training ground delta." Delta was quite close to the residential buildings. Aizawa consoled himself with the thought that in this case he would find the students quickly and preferably expel them directly from the school, because no one likes troublesome heroes. He ran to the training ground and was almost immediately knocked down by a blast. Now in an even worse mood, he crept closer to the fight until he froze. It was not a fight between two students, but....

Kaede sat leaning against a wall. The ground beneath her was crumbling and the cement was being forced into the earth under extreme pressure. The wall behind her was also subjected to immense force. She pressed her hands to her head as if trying to keep it from breaking. Since her Quirk was based on her emotional state, this was probably pretty close to the truth as well. "No, no, no." Her voice was powerful, but she could not control her Quirk even with it. Now at night she seemed so different from the day. "Kaede." She startled as her teacher stepped out of the shadows and raised his hands reassuringly. "You need to calm down." She raised her eyes and looked around in panic. "I'm trying, I'm trying yes." The girl's voice broke. Her fragile fingers tugged at her collar. "Breathe, Kaede." Aizawa's voice grew more serious as he too was pulled around more and more by the pressure. "I... I can't." She ripped open her collar as well as her blouse, but it still didn't help her get the oxygen she was hoping for. "Kaede" Aizawa was growling now. He was kneeling on the floor, unable to get back up. Immense heat was emanating from Kaede and more and more needles were trying to bore into Aizawa's head. "I can't make it." Tears obscured her vision and she reached forward, that's when Aizawa used his Quirk. He had hoped she could prove she had it under control, but he had to intervene. With a jerk, the pressure on the surrounding area released and the pain in the girl's head also disappeared. She pulled her legs towards her and wrapped her arms around them. Her breathing was still too fast, but Aizawa was already at her side. "Breathe deeply. Breathe in deeply, like this, and out deeply. That's it. Deep in, deep out, yes and keep going." Kaede shivered. "I don't want it back, you can keep my Quirk." Aizawa smiled a bitter smile. "I can't." She wiped away her tears, looking almost her usual self. Aizawa would have liked to talk to her some more. He gave her back her Quirk. At that moment she lost her smile and rolled her eyes. Aizawa sighed. He gently supported his student and then took her in his arms to carry her back. He turned again and looked at the damage she could not even consciously account for. "Those with the strongest specialties are also the ones who struggle the most." It was not a fight between 2 students, but a fight between head and heart. Aizawa didn't notice that he was being watched, but then no one even noticed in all this time, did they?

"The examination you will take to obtain your hero's licence will take place in three weeks' time." It was as if these words were calling Kaede out of a trance. The time would come in three weeks. "Until then, you must work on a special technique." Her euphoria was gone again. Finally at the goal? Yes. But work for it? She first had to get over herself to do that. Zementos formed a landscape for every student and everyone raved about their ideas, only Kaede stood around uncertainly. "So, what do you have in mind, what do you want me to build?" She looked around at the tall towers and the others' constructions. "For now, I don't need anything, thank you." "Good, just let me know if you need anything." A clone always stood near her, watching her. She sat down on the floor and leaned against the wall where she had an overview of the hall. All her classmates were so excited to see their dreams now come true. She saw that Bakugo was already wildly firing explosions and Denki was telling the clone some wild stories. She closed her eyes and thought. A special technique. Her Quirk was so unstable, how could she develop a technique that would always help her win? She thought through her problems first. Controlling her emotions and ignoring the emotions of others. Before designing a technique, she should take care of her weaknesses. "What are you thinking about, young Miharu?" All might brought her out of her meditative state as he approached her. "I don't know what to do. I have no idea. Maybe I should just drop the special technique thing and work on my control instead." "You have your control right now, don't you? But do you have a special technique right now? The special technique will be your trademark. Just like your hero name, it makes you. I, for example, have developed different strikes, I give the villains a quick end. Kamui Woods, on the other hand, has a special technique for capture. You see: there are so many infinite possibilities. Now it's time for you to think: What kind of hero do you want to be? What do you want to do?" He left as if he had said something clever, but he only left her confused. She wanted to get her Quirk under control, but all might was right. Now, at this moment, she was controlling her Quirk. She wanted to control her Quirk when it became destructive. She leaned back against the wall and closed her eyes again."Let's say I'm in the fight for the hero's licence." she muttered to herself. "If I try to use my Quirk and instead destroy everything, myself and others, I won't achieve my goal. So I have to learn to transform the destructive side of my Quirk instead of suppressing it." A plan formed in her mind. "Cementos?" "yes?" She was startled when he suddenly stood behind her. "I need an even surface and Aizawa to supervise me."She sat on an elevated plane and exhaled deeply. "And that's not dangerous?" "Of course it's dangerous." She loosened the barricades she had placed between herself and her emotions. A wind flew around her hair and the ground shook, but those were also the only signs of the struggle. Kaede didn't let anything push out. "Please don't burst." "Not funny." She thought for a moment about what loss of control usually manifested itself in, then reached out a hand. It formed a ring that swung around her body. Smaller black bolts of lightning struck the ground again and again, but did no great damage. She stretched out a hand again and was about to form a new ring, but the ring around her waist tightened abruptly.

Before it could do any damage, Aizawa erased her Quirk. "That was close." "But it was good! I don't know what you did, but it was something new." I'm done for now, I need to think again." Aizawa nodded and left them alone. Again she argued with herself: "Even if I want control, it won't be possible to implement it like that. Maybe I'm giving up too quickly, but maybe it's the right thing to do." She thought again about Allmight's words. What do you want to do? And then she knew. She looked at Katsuki, who was on the same level as her, and watched him. There was sheer power in his every move, but something else. His arms were tense as he fired explosions and his expression contorted. He poured all his strength into his attacks. She didn't. Her attacks were unsteady and weak. But she didn't want to just win with sheer force. She wanted to bring peace. And for the first time she was honest with herself. She wanted peace for every broken soul in this world. "Maybe I'm just too sensitive and naive."