Chapter 25

When the test ended, Kaede was shaking all over. Not because her injuries caused her severe pain and the fever weakened her, but because she was afraid. She was so close to her goal, but what if she didn't pass? What if her performance was simply not enough? Mina and Denki supported her as everyone ran to the blackboard. In a few seconds the results would appear there.

It was always strange that at such moments time seemed to stand still. Kaede's hair stood up as the screen turned blue and then many names appeared. She looked at M for Miharu, and then she found it. Relief came over her and tears formed in her eyes. "I've got it!" "Me too!" Mina and Denki turned to her. All three laughed until they lost their balance and fell over backwards. "We passed!"

Katsuki and Shoto stood next to each other in disbelief. "This can't be, this shit, what are they doing! Fucking shit!" Shoto looked at his classmates. "Looks like we're the only ones who didn't pass." "Shut the fuck up Icyhot!" The examiners let Katsuki clamour a bit more until a micro announced, "Congratulations to all those who passed! But also to those who are not on the list. You have also passed. You will have to invest additional hours in a special course, but at least you will get a provisional licence. Now you can all go and I can sleep."

Class 1A stood together in front of the screen. They had all passed. Kaede grinned. Now the events took their course.

At the end they said goodbye to Joke. "While we're at it, maybe we could do some training together." Because Aizawa hesitated, Kaede replied instead. "That would be nice, then we can improve even more." "Oh yes little Kaede, the UA is already participating in missions, isn't it? Maybe I'll see you on TV then!" Joke laughed out loud. "Goodbye then Joke. Aizawa waved briefly. Hesitantly, but with powerful steps, Kaede walked up to Joke and hugged her. As their skin touched, Kaede felt Joke's sadness again. At such moments she wished she could help, but it was no use. Her Quirk could only change things in the short term, in moments when feelings were stronger than rational thought. She wished so much to help Joke, but there was nothing she could do. She had no chance against the long episodes of depression. Joke slowly pushed her away and laughed nervously. "Are you on drugs little one?" "I'm always on drugs." She waved and followed Aizawa. "Can I ask what that is about?" "You can ask." She leaned her head against his shoulder. "But you won't get an answer."

...

That same evening, Kaede requested the file on her parents' case. "We can't just hand over the file because there are other heroes involved who have declared the case closed." She frowned. "But it is not closed. The killers were never found." Nervously, the policeman talked at her. "I can't give you any information on that. You have to fill out the application. It may take a while, but that's how you'll get the file. Now that you have the hero's licence you can ask questions. It's progress." She thanked him and hung up. Kaede stared at the ceiling. "Just a little more waiting. Soon."

She ended up daydreaming on her bed because she couldn't sleep. In this state she was open and spiritual, she was not glued to her body. That's why she felt it. She wondered why she hadn't noticed it before. Wasn't it obvious? The feeling shook her body and when she opened her eyes, she gasped. Hastily she looked at the clock on her desk. It was just midnight. It felt like he was calling out to her. She knew it was probably a bad decision, but she couldn't resist. She stepped out into the hallway and closed the door quietly behind her, then slipped down the stairs into the living room and kitchen. A small light was burning in the kitchen. Peering around the corner, she saw Bakugo sitting on the floor. His back was against the cupboard and he was beating his leg continuously with his fist. "Arghhh! This shit!" As his voice failed, the tugging on her got worse. She stumbled across the room. Startled, Katsuki stared at her. "What are you doing here?" She adjusted herself to the new situation. "I could ask you the same thing." She went to the fruit basket, picked up an apple and confidently explained, "I was hungry, and you?" He looked at the apple as if it was not from this world. She sat down next to him with some distance. "You're down because you only half passed the exam, aren't you?" "I'm not down!" He grew louder, but calmed down again. "Talk to me." He looked her in the eye. They shone gold in the light of the small lamp, everything else in the room was dark. "Are you using your Quirk on me?" he threatened. "I'm not."