Chapter 28

In the weeks that followed, they had more lessons and more missions, and yet Kaede felt something was missing. "Why do you look so thoughtful?" When she looked up, she saw that Keigo had already finished eating. Listlessly, she poked at the food. "I miss the old days. You and me against the rest of the world. Or at least you and me, sneaking around at night and putting our views of doing good into practice. Now it's all become so complicated, so exhausting." "Don't you do good on the missions now? You only do small things, but still." "Even though it's such small things, it's hard for me. In my team... we just don't think alike. Both of us... Teamwork worked perfectly for us when  we were young." He raised his fork victoriously, as if he knew a solution. "That's the problem. With good teamwork, anything can succeed, that's why you used to find it so easy. Now it's exhausting and pulls on your strength because you don't think as a team." "but how are we supposed to think as a team?" He looked at her apologetically. "Maybe Aizawa can help you with that." She groaned. "But until the missions become fun, can't you intern with me...?" She looked at him questioningly. "But you already have Fumikage, or I would have asked long ago." He waved it off. "I'm hero number two, do you really think I can only manage Fumikage?" A broad smile formed on her face. "Just like back then." "Just like back then."

...

"Interning with Hawks? That's great! Will you and Fumikage be together then?" "Hawks said he wants us on different days." "Hmm, so alone with Hawks, huh?" Kaede smiled "Yep, just Hawks and me." "Wooow I admire everyone who found an internship." Kaede glanced at Kyoka. "It's stressful though. Maybe you'll find out soon enough that you actually have an advantage." "But still. It's such a great opportunity."

"You're leaving today already?" Shoto stood in her doorway as she turned. "Yeah. Hawks said there's a lot going on and he needs my help with something big." "You should be careful. Lately the villains are taking too much out of themselves. Since all light stepped back, everything changed." "You're right, but Hawks is with me, what can happen? I'll be gone for a few weeks at least until the case is cleared up." Shoto walked in and took a big step over her bag. Suddenly she felt his arms around her body. In the embrace, he whispered in her ear. "You take care of yourself there and I'll take care of 1A here." She felt uncomfortable being pressed so close to Shoto, but she knew he needed the embrace for himself. Since students were always leaving for internships or missions, he was afraid for them. For the fact that the other students blanked out, he kept reminding himself. He knew that heroes could die very quickly.

...

"What can happen in two weeks?" Kaede thought to herself. She didn't expect any big changes when she returned to the UA. She was wrong about that. "A girl? Like me back then?" Aizawa nodded seriously. "No parents, no one in charge. Now it's up to me and the UA to look after her and take care of her destructive Quirk." "They won't take her to Tartarus." "They don't want that at all. They're glad they got rid of Eri to us." A twinge settled in Kaede's heart. Why was she locked away and this girl spared even though she...? But Kaede didn't want to think like that. "Can I meet Eri?" Aizawa nodded. "That's what I had planned. She gets your old room. Maybe you can help her, talk to her. Not many are allowed to see her because she's very shy, but I'm her guardian.
...

Eri was pure sugar. She was such a sweet child, but she also had a hard time. There was nothing happy in her eyes, no matter what she did, she never smiled. When Kaede entered the room, Eri was sitting at a table drawing something. "Hello Eri." Eri looked up intently as kaede slowly approached. "I'm Kaede, I've heard of you." She walked around the girl and sat down on her old bed. "You know, I used to live here. It was so bleak then too, when I first came here. Would you like to decorate your room?" Eri put the pencil aside. "Have you been saved?" Kaede was surprised by the direct question. "I was saved by Aizawa. By the UA." "By heroes." "Yes, by heroes." Eri eyed her. An interested, an excited look. "Why did you live here too? Did you go to hero school here? Are you a hero?" Kaede laughed. "I'm just like you. I couldn't control my Quirk, so Aizawa had to take care of me. I've only been going to school here since this year, although I've lived here for years. I'm trying to become a hero." "Did you have a mother?" "Of course, everyone has a mother." "I had a mother." Eri looked at the picture sorrowfully. "We painted together. Did you paint too?" "We played more than we painted. Or watched films." When she saw the tears on Eri's face she cringed. "Oh please, don't cry. I didn't mean to make you cry." Overwhelmed, she looked around. She wanted to hug Eri, but didn't know if the girl wanted contact. Feeling unsure, she went to the table to sit across from Eri. "My mother was my family and she was and is important to me, but you have to look to the future. Just as I found my new family at the UA, you will find yours. You start with the heroes who saved you and slowly build your family, okay?" Eri wiped away snot and nodded. "Okay."

As Kaede stepped out of the room, she had to take a breath. "What happened?" "I made her cry! Our first meeting and I messed it up." Kaede slapped her forehead. "What do I make her talk about herself too. Shit." "What?" "I'm so sorry." "Kaede that's great." "Please what?" "She never showed anyone how she felt, not even Izuku and Mirio. And she was talking about herself? Most of the time she's silent, with the others." "Um" "Maybe you touched something inside her. Because you have the same past. Or did you do something to your Quirk?" "I didn't do anything." "Then we'll follow up on what influence you have on her."