Chapter 38

She took the quickest route through the streets to get back to the base. She met Eijiro and Denki on the way, but sprinted past them and dodged the attacks. When she arrived at the base, everything inside her tightened. She fell to her knees in front of the screen and held onto it. As soon as she glanced at the screen, she would know how badly she had let her team down. She gathered up the courage and stood up. A sigh escaped her mouth when she saw the expected result. She already knew it when she saw the missing flag. Yuga had been eliminated. The entire room was full of blue paint splatters. She was not angry, she was calm as a lake. Like a stone skipping across the water, creating slight ripples with each bounce. The blue team now had at least one flag. Kaede stared at the screen until she saw a name flash red. Denki had been eliminated. That left the red team with Eijiro and Momo. At the same time, however, this also meant that a fight was taking place at that very spot. The probability was very high that there were few guards at the blue base, where there were probably already three flags. So while the others fought for the last flag, she would sneak behind their backs and steal the others. Hopefully Toru was thinking the same thing. Again she walked through the streets, but this time careful not to be discovered. Fumikage and Shoto were standing in front of the entrance. When Shoto swung his gun in different directions and looked through a tube, she realised too late that the scope was equipped with a thermo-vision camera. He was already firing while she was still trying to release a grenade. She rolled behind the next corner and took a breath. Then she ran back to the fight. Fumikage had no firearm, so first take out Shoto. She threw the grenade straight at his feet. He was too busy dodging to see her hold the sniper and fire. Head shot Without wasting time, she ran towards Fumikage. Sometimes, after the exercises, she thought about not getting so lost in the fight and also thinking for a change. Fumikage pulled out a whip soaked in blue paint. "Oh shit." It was so long that he could hit her effortlessly. This thing kept her at a distance and she had fallen straight into the trap. At least she could claim to have made it this far. Nevertheless, she did not give up. She still tried to jump out of the way. Surprisingly, she did not feel the blow of the whip. As she got to her feet and turned around, she was startled to see outlines of a girl, drenched in blue paint. "Toru?!" "It's up to you Kaede, get us the victory." Toru had thrown herself in front of her. Realising this, Kaede stared at the girl's back. "I'm not someone to sacrifice for." "The sacrifice was for nothing anyway. You're going to lose now, like everyone else." She turned around. Katsuki came up behind her. With a minigun. "Why do you have all the cool guns! That's not fair." It took everything she had to keep her Quirk under control and not attack. Right now, a thousand thoughts were running through her head about how to avenge her team members. Slowly she backed up until her back was against the wall. "Please, let me win." "Any last words?" She shook her head at his stupid gullibility. "Do you really think I would beg for victory instead of taking it?" She grinned as he frowned. By the time he shot, she had disappeared into the base entrance. Her fake fear, the steps to the wall, all of it was just to get her closer to the flags, and he hadn't seen through it. She ran to the flags. Blue and yellow. "Just ours?" She tried to activate her Quirk. She thought of her team members. Of Toru. She had sacrificed herself for Kaede. Kaede was boiling inside. Not an angry boiling, but an exhausted one. Toru couldn't understand it, but Kaede wasn't going to be saved. It just wasn't how fate had intended it to be. Kaede hated using her Quirk in this way. She hated making herself feel her feelings because it hurt her. She felt so hot, like she was overheating. The grenades on her belt activated and splattered the floor and walls with yellow paint. If the others wanted to follow her, it would take a little longer now. She ran up the stairs behind her.

She did not return to the yellow base. That's exactly where everyone would be looking for her. Both the green team and the blue team. She was at the red team's base. Although she now gave them 10 points, she would survive longer that way. The only question was who the red and green flags were with. From team green, Izuku, Tenya, Mina and Tsuyu were still alive, Rikido had dropped out. On the blue team, everyone was alive except Shoto. Too bad. Kaede lay down on the roof of the red base, but she lost patience. She saw no one. She left the flags behind and climbed over the roofs until she was about in the middle of the whole area. There she already reloaded her sniper and lay down on the ground to observe.

But here, too, she got bored. "Where is everyone?" As if Fate had heard her question, she heard a loud bang. "Green base." She ran across the nearest rooftops until she had a clear view of the base. Bakugo's entire team was facing Izuku's team. "A fucking cannon." Tenya was standing behind a cannon that had apparently fired a huge green paint ball earlier. The blue team managed to dodge it, but are now kept at a distance. "First the ones that can run." She lay back on the ground and took aim. Fumikage's head was full of yellow paint. The others turned in fright when they heard the bang, but Kaede was already reloading and aiming at Kyoka, who had spotted her immediately and was now pointing. Kaede fired, but Katsuki pulled Kyoka out of the line of fire. Without waiting, he dropped his minigun and catapulted to join her on the roof. "You fucking thief, where are the flags!" She didn't have time to grab her gun. "You have no colour, what are you thinking?" "I'm going to drag you to the land of dreams and then dump you downstairs in Earphone girl's paint bucket stash." Kaede had to stifle a laugh. "You have buckets?" "Come on, shut up." He threw himself at her, but she saw his arms coming and grabbed them. She tried to twist his arms, but he was already kicking and putting all his body weight into his knees, which he jabbed into her stomach. She felt sick to her stomach and dizzy. "Had enough yet?" She grabbed his face and rammed it against the edge of the roof. "Fucking-" He groaned, blood pouring from his nose. He didn't complain about his broken nose. He eyed Kaede as she stood up threateningly. For a moment he was too swept away to dodge the next kick against his neck. Kaede's eyes widened when he did not dodge or even resist. "You idiot!" Only a gasp came out of his mouth. "At least you can't scream now." He looked at her very strangely. She looked over the edge of the roof to find that both teams had deflated. Not a trace. She turned back to Katsuki. "Still not enough-" He was no longer alone.