Chapter 84

"Recovery girl wouldn't let us all go in here, but we muddled through!" "Super Denki, you did great." Kaede sarcastically pointed a thumb in the air and waited for Mina to let go of her shoulders. "I'm so glad." "Same." Kaede was a little uncomfortable with the entire class squeezed around her bed and all the attention on her. "Guys I'm sorry it kind of always ends up like this." "Well, you were kidnapped. It wasn't really your fault." Ochako tugged on Izuku's arm. "Toru says it was her fault." Under the attention, Ochako turned red. "Where is she?" "I don't know. She always said you'd been gone too long, that it wasn't right like that. We all waited every day to finally have news of you, but Toru was a bundle of nerves." "I suspect it was because she blames herself. When the villain took off, she took Toru hostage. Maybe Toru thinks if it wasn't for that, you would have been found sooner" "I need to talk to her, it's not her fault." "Yeah, we told her that too, but she won't listen to us. She said we don't understand and she distanced herself." "Can someone kidnap her and bring her to me?"
Recovery girl tried to ignore someone being dragged in a sack into Kaede's room. It was class 1A, what else did the older lady expect. "It's all right Toru, if you don't listen to me, you'll listen to Kaede." "Let go of me Mezo!" Toru kicked the bag off her and when she finally got free, the room was empty and only Kaede was in the bed. "Hi Toru." Toru stumbled back. Kaede could already hear in the girl's voice that she was uncomfortable. "How are you?" Toru whispered, so Kaede almost didn't understand her words. "Come here, sit down." As if under a trance, Toru walked to the chair. Kaede could not read her expression, but she knew Toru wanted to leave. "I am fine. Just a few scratches, but Recovery girl won't let me go." Presumably Toru nodded, but the room remained filled with silence until Kaede sighed. She reached out and brushed Toru's hand, but she immediately flinched. "You feel guilty Toru, but it's not your fault." "Don't tell me how I feel." She heard the tears through her voices in the way her voice trembled. "Okay, I won't tell you. I don't know how you feel. If you feel guilty: I don't blame you. I never would." Toru sobbed and got up from the chair. "I'm sorry Kaede, I'm so sorry. You got hurt, you almost died. You were gone for so long, what did they do to you. It's all my fault, it's-" "Toru." Toru broke her sobs and raised her head. "Don't cry for me. I'm okay. Everything that happened has nothing to do with you, you were in the wrong place at the wrong time-" Toru breathed unevenly. "Toru, breathe very slowly." But she did not calm down. Kaede watched her powerless as she suffered a panic attack. Kaede rolled off the bed and crawled to Toru. Her arms wrapped around her friend and pulled her into her lap. Toru leaned against her ribs, but Kaede ignored it. "Listen to my breath. Feel my lungs beneath you, and follow my lead." As if she only seemed to realise it as her panic attack ebbed, she made a leap from Kaede's lap that made her gasp. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't be here." Kaede watched Toru disappear through the door. "My poor baby."

Kaede remained sitting on the floor. She was already thinking up some excuses for what she would do there if Girlie found her. She couldn't get up on her own. Eventually the door opened, but it wasn't the nurse. "What the hell are you doing on the floor?" "I'm mopping it, it was dirty." He paused in his movements and stared at her. "You're an idiot." "Yeah, you too. Are you even allowed to be here?" "I've been waiting all this fucking time for invisiblegirl to finally leave so I can finally talk to you." "Ohoh, now I'm afraid of what you have to say." He put his hands in his pockets and continued to look down at her. "You're nervous." "I'm not nervous." She laughed. "Of course you're nervous. Did you memorise a speech for me? You look like you're giving a presentation." His expression darkened. "Shut up." When she laughed this time, it did her ribs no good. He continued to stare down at her from above. "What are you waiting for? Are you going to help me up now?" He grinned at her. "I was just waiting for you to ask me." He walked to her and lifted her into his arms. Instead of putting her on the bed though, he sat on it and left her in his lap. "Did you do that with Toga too?" There was more bitterness in her voice than she had intended. "I-" "No, I'm sorry, you couldn't have known. I also have to apologise for what I said before-" "No, not that shit again. That fake girl also told me some shit about what you said, but I don't want to hear it. In the days you've been gone, I've been thinking. I don't care if you want to forget everything, I won't make you forget. I will remind you every second." "Well, I don't mind. Remind me gladly." She moved in the lap. "But this is really uncomfortable when I can't move half my body properly."

The time in the hospital room passed relatively quickly. Aizawa had let them hang curtains for her. She tried to hate them because of their colour, but every time she stared at them, she thought of him and smiled. Mina and the others always brought her snacks because they were sure the food wasn't enough. Eri also visited her. In fact, she used the free moments all the time to spend time with Eri now that she no longer had classes. But she meditated a lot. If she couldn't exercise physically, she could still practice her sensory skills. One day she sat in her bed and read a book. It was normally quiet, no noise, no shouting. That morning her friends had visited her normally and they would probably visit her again later if it wasn't for one tiny thing. The silence was broken and Kaede almost threw her book against the wall, she was so startled. It was a day like any other until the alarms went off.