Chapter 101

Kaede was glad that the first thing she saw when she woke up was Katsuki sleeping in a chair next to her bed. He looked so peaceful, but also quite exhausted. "Katsuki?" She had to get rid of her doubts, she couldn't stand it any longer. "Idiot, wake up." Opening his eyes, he blinked at her for a moment, confused. She smiled, her eyes shining. "They were right, you don't actually look dead." "You are an idiot! I don't look dead?! You were dead, you just disappeared! You left me with that fucking mark again, you gave me your power and made me think you were dead, it's just like back then!" "Do you also remember what happened afterwards in the hospital back then?" He was standing right in front of her, his face inches from hers as the door opened. "Katsuki Bakugo, how many times do I have to tell you that there is no yelling in my hospital ward?" "Tch, old lady." Recovery girl ignored him, pushed past him and pulled a needle from Kaede's arm. "How are you feeling sweetie?" "Tired." "Yes, of course tired. You were completely powerless, it's a wonder you could stand at all. And your injuries, oh god. A girl from the general department, Areza, volunteered to heal you because I couldn't. You were quite lucky, young lady." Kaede nodded dutifully and gave Katsuki a sideways glance. "I'll let Shota know you're awake." "Thank you." When Recovery girl was gone again, Katsuki stepped closer again. "You stole my favourite hoodie." "I didn't think you'd miss it. Where were you anyway? You weren't in your room tonight and you weren't at breakfast this morning." He seemed uncomfortable answering her question. She pulled him to the edge of the bed. "Well, I was in your room." "Huh?" "Don't look at me like that idiot!" She had to laugh, but Katsuki pushed her into her pillows. She reached up and gave him a quick kiss. "What was that about?" "Why should we rush, we have all the time in the world." Aizawa entered the room shortly after. When Katsuki saw him, he quickly disappeared and closed the door behind him. "If I remember correctly you asked me what would happen if you came back and I was dead." He exhaled deeply. "But nothing could prepare me for arriving on a battlefield and finding out you were dead." He wrapped her in a tight hug and she pressed into his chest as if she never wanted to let go. "I thought I'd lost you." He put his hands on her cheeks and stroked them gently. "I'm so proud of you. The others told me that you led them, gave them courage. They only survived because of you Kaede." " Is everyone alright then?" "Most of the injuries have been taken care of. Everyone is fine." She nodded, but she had a feeling he was hiding something. "What's wrong?" He sighed. "The UA is under heavy criticism, of course, we are the only school that has been attacked. The hero committee has taken advantage of that. Under the pretext that Eri wasn't safe here, they took her." Kaede's world collapsed. She imagined Eri being taken somewhere by strangers, having to endure the tests, being treated like an object. "What can we do? How do we get her back?" "Well, that's not all. Hawks also came to the battlefield after he found out what had happened. He got caught there, but after he thought you were dead, he didn't really care. They gave him the choice of signing an unbreakable contract or going to Tartarus. He wasn't cooperative." "So he's in Tartarus?" "Yes." "I come back from the dead and everything goes to shit. I need to talk to Nezu, I need to think."

"According to the students, you led the others, how did it feel to be under such pressure?" Kaede answered the reporters' thousandth question. "I was under no pressure at all. I did lead them, but I was never alone, we were all together. If I had made a mistake, someone else would have corrected it." "But it is true that you saved the students and defeated most of the villains, right?" "I can't say exactly, it was quite a mess." This press conference was meant to exonerate the UA, but it seemed more like a cross-examination about what had happened. "Do you blame the teachers or your school for putting up with so much bad stuff?" There it was, the question she had been waiting for. "Why should I blame my teachers? We want to be heroes, you have to expect situations like that. They did everything in their power." Inwardly, Kaede gritted her teeth because she couldn't say what she was thinking. The hero committee had Eri hostage, so to speak. Any mistake on their part would affect Eri.

"You should do what you think is right." "What?" Kaede was caught off guard that Aizawa did not try to stop her. He smiled at her and squeezed her hands. "All your life decisions have been forced on you by others, if this is the way you want to go, then do it. I know you can do it." It was as if a weight was lifted from her. Her eyes shone and Aizawa couldn't help but be happy that she was happy, but something in him didn't want to let her go.

"I will leave the UA." Her classmates looked at her with shocked faces. "Don't worry, I'll explain. I think I finally know which way I want to go. In this society, under the leadership of the Commission, I don't want to become a hero. I can't fight villains who are like me. I have to change something, I will overthrow the Hero Commission." They looked at her as if she had beaten them. "Well, I'll start small. First I'll save Eri, then Hawks, and then I'll go from there. I'll be a vigilante." They fell silent. "I mean, look at the society, it's falling apart. You're judged by your Quirk, more and more people are becoming villains because people only focus on the best of the best, the rest are treated like dirt, like I was then, like Eri is now." They looked at her as if they didn't know what to say until Izuku stepped up beside her. "I'll go with you." "What, but Izuku, you want to be like All might. That would make you-" "I know." He smiled sadly. "I imagined it differently then, but I know better now. It's only because there was such a big difference between All might and the other heroes that the Hero Commission is so.... ignorant. I don't want to be the next symbol of peace when there are still people who have to live in the shadows. It's on my way, you're right. We will free Eri and the commission will fall." "I don't quite know what you're talking about, but it sounds like something big, you could definitely use some help with that." "I think so too." Mina and Hanta joined them. "Sounds manly." Eijiro cast a questioning glance at Katsuki, who had been eyeing Kaede since she began her announcement. "Tch, like I'd let you go alone with the extras." That evening, Mina, Denki, Eijiro, Katsuki, Hanta, Izuku and Kaede joined together, later joined by Hitoshi. Mei Hatsume hurriedly threw herself into designs for new suits while the others organised everything. 

On the last evening they threw a party. Most of the first year knew about the plan, those who had fought with Kaede. It was the biggest party they had ever seen, because those from the second and third year came to it without knowing what it was about. The teachers failed to stop the students. Instead, Aizawa eventually fished Kaede out of the crowd and led her into an empty room. She was sitting on the sofa with a cup of tea, Aizawa opposite her. "I've been thinking for a long time about what to give you as a farewell gift." He inhaled audibly. "Actually, I've been thinking about this for a very long time, but I didn't want you to take it the wrong way. I didn't know if you really wanted it." He put papers on the table and pushed them towards her. She put the cup aside, glanced at the papers and froze. "You... want to adopt me?" "Your name would be Kaede Aizawa. I didn't want to let you go completely, I still want to be connected to you, what connects us more than a name? I just didn't want you to think I wanted your parents-" She jumped across the table and fell around his neck. "Kaede Aizawa sounds great." Aizawa was glad her head disappeared into his scarf because that way she couldn't see him smile and the water in his eyes almost spilling over. Aizawa stroked her back in relief. Perhaps he had simply been thinking too much about the situation. "Eri's papers are already signed, so you would officially be sisters." Kaede grinned. "It's getting better all the time."

Each went their own way but they knew that at some point in the future they would be reunited. The group had turned their backs on UA, but they carried their friends in their hearts.