Chapter 86

Betrayal. In order to betray someone, they must have had trust in you. If they saw you, they saw nothing but a friend, someone to count on. Someone you could show your back to. As Kaede stood there, she didn't know whether to turn her back on Dabi or Toru. She had been betrayed. She had trusted. In her mind's eye she saw all the memories she had shared with Toru, false memories, because at every moment Toru had never been the person she thought she knew. But it was the truth, wasn't it? Kaede sensed, she knew, that Toru regretted it, that she felt guilty. But was that enough? Kaede would do anything to make it enough. She lifted her gaze and the fire in her eyes blazed stronger than before. Even if she forgave Toru, the wounds remained. The thought of her just being thrown away. "Don't you dare talk about her like that. Don't you dare point your fucking finger at her. I know Toru. I know the real Toru and I know her better than you do. And I won't let you talk about her like that." Dabi glared at her. "You know-" "Stop talking shit like that, I don't care about you. You're not worth my time, go crawl back into your hole and never show me your ugly mug again." "Should I take the traitor with me?" She swept the dirty grin off his face. Kaede often wondered why people provoked her who knew the effect of her Quirk. A storm of emotions raged inside her. She was angry, not at Toru and not at Dabi, but at herself. She could not believe that she had not seen the signs. She was hurt. Not because of Dabi's words and not because Toru had betrayed her, but because Toru thought it was the only way. But Kaede would show her that Toru still had more than one way. A gust of golden light formed a sphere around Kaede, Toru and Mina as Dabi and the other villains stumbled back.

When Kaede turned around, Toru backed away, but she could not escape. Her voice trembled as she tried to defend herself. "Kaede, I'm sorry, I... I don't know-" Kaede took her friend in her arms. And in that brief moment, Toru's heart tightened. She hesitated to lean into Kaede's arms. "It's okay sweetie, I forgive you." Toru sagged in her arms and pressed her forehead against Kaede's shoulder as she cried. Kaede knew Toru would never have asked for forgiveness, but she didn't need it. "It's okay." Kaede cried too. Maybe she needed to say those words out loud, more to herself than to her Toru, whose heart was getting so much lighter. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, so sorry." Kaede smiled, she tried, "Look at me Toru, please." She looked up. Kaede smiled. "Whatever you did doesn't matter, okay? You're not a villain for whatever reason you acted the way you did. We'll sort this out okay?" Toru winced. "Even if you think so, the others won't share your opinion." "I will make them. And if I have to, I will protect you not only from the villains, but also from the heroes." She smiled and pushed Toru's chin up. "You are my friend Toru. And no matter what you do, I will always have your back. I've seen your inside, and it's beautiful Toru, nothing about it resembles a true villain." Toru continued to tense in her stance as Kaede looked around. After the shock, the attack was already weakening. Kaede placed a hand against Mina's cheek, who stared at her faintly. Tiredly, she muttered to herself. "Kaede is right." "What?" "Kaede is always right." Kaede smiled weakly. "I have a plan. Toru. I'm going to dissolve this protective sphere, it won't last long. A shockwave will knock everyone around us out. This is your chance to run." "I won't let you down, I won't" "I know Toru. You need to sneak away and get help. I'll hold on until you come back with help." Kaede stroked her friend's cheek. "I trust you Toru." Kaede lost control of the orb. The golden light spread out, sweeping the villains around her with it. "Run Toru."

Villains do not hesitate any more than heroes. Dabi threw blue flames at her, which she could have dodged, but Mina was still on the ground. Kaede stood in the way. "I won't let you hurt her any more." "Then you're a little late." God, Dabi really didn't know how her Quirk worked. "You fucking ass, you little shit, motherfucking..." She cursed him, and with each curse the wind grew stronger, beating back the flames. But Dabi was not alone. Toga threw himself at her, knife pointed at her. "Give me more of your blood please, it was so good to be you!" "I gratefully decline!" She grabbed Toga's arm and twisted it so that she dropped the knife. Instead, Toga bit her arm. "Fuck." She licked the blood and took her distance again. Kaede applied pressure to where Toga, Dabi and Twice now stood gathered, but they quickly rolled out from under it. Kaede was running out of tricks. Dabi and Toga came at her at the same time and while she tried to kick Dabi away, she ran into Toga's arms. The arm was around Kaede's neck and squeezed. She tried to roll away or somehow free herself from the grip, but she could not. Desperately, she threw herself around and pushed with all her might, but Twice came to Toga's rescue and held Kaede under. She kicked around anyway. Dabi also had to push her down. Kaede could no longer breathe. She heard explosions and suddenly there was a green light next to her. Dabi and Twice were torn from her and shortly afterwards the grip around her neck loosened. She threw herself around, Toga now under her. She fixed the villain and looked around. Izuku ran after Twice, who ran wildly in circles, while Katsuki hurled explosions at Dabi. Dabi, however, sent a huge conflagration. "Get out of here." Toga looked at Kaede. "You're a girl, like me. You're not even older than me. Get off the LoV, turn yourself in. You can still have a good life." "You're cute. But I like my life the way it is." Kaede shook her head. "Then I'm sorry I have to do this." She pressed her skin to Toga's. Toga was like her. Toga was misunderstood and condemned, and she joined other misunderstood and condemned. Society was to blame. And every hero who had done nothing about it was to blame. The girl's head fell to the side as Kaede stood up. Kaede watched Twice and Dabi. Would they leave their comrade behind if they escaped? Kaede went to Mina and lifted her in her arms. Her pink friend had many burns that she did not want to irritate. "Deku!" He was still running after the many copies of Twice. "Katsuki!" She gave him a second's pause, distracting Dabi who was a little way off now on the ground. "Let's go!" "I can't right now!" She rolled her eyes. "Guys." Mina had to get out of here, she didn't feel like standing here anymore. They should just stop getting on her nerves. She stepped firmly onto the floor. A vibration ran through the floor, shaking the remaining ones. Kaede's headache only increased, but Dabi lay on the ground while Katsuki came shooting at her from the air. Izuku suddenly stood beside her. "I'll take Mina, Kacchan you take Kaede, and then get out of here." "Don't tell me what to do." "Just do it, or I'll carry you."