Chapter 96

"Let's hurry back to the others, these are finished." The small group ran back to Kyoka, who was still standing at the entrance. " How does it look?" "They're still fighting, the enemies outnumber us." "Okay, we'll back them up." Just as they ran to the others, a desperate call rang out through the comm. "Our Quirks aren't working, we can't use them, we need help!" Mina spoke through the comm, which meant that both Shoto and Momo were unable to speak for themselves. A shiver went down Kaede's spine as she confirmed the connection. "I'm coming." It was as she had said and assured. She would protect the others. She had to run around the corner of the house to catch a glimpse of the field. Many villains in uniform black suits were stepping towards the students, who were backing away more and more towards the wall. Hitoshi had Shoto by his side and was supporting him, while Mina dragged Momo backwards with another girl. "Hey, here I am!" Some of the villains looked around, though not enough. "Kaede, they have arrows with some stuff that paralyses the Quirk. You'll have to dodge." "Nothing easier than that." A few arrows came flying, but Kaede just kept running straight and jumped into the middle of the crowd of attackers. She drew her knives and whirled around, keeping the attackers at bay. Then they were pinned to the ground by a violent pressure. Her comrades had their eyes on Kaede again. She stood in the middle of the enemies, her hair blowing in her face as she eyed her friends. She wished they could stay there and let her do the work, but they would eventually act again, even without Quirk, and then they would need guidance. "Come, fight with me." As if that was all the guidance they needed, Eijiro and Hitoshi ran off, the others right behind them. A new chaos broke as well, from which even the villains were not spared. Kaede used her Quirk to fight until the arrow she couldn't dodge came. She plucked it right out again and made a cut with the knife so the stuff would quickly leave her system. Without her Quirk, she felt even lighter. She whirled through the enemies, tearing off their feet one by one while ignoring the blows she herself was taking. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw a couple of the attackers turn and come towards Mina, who had stayed with the injured Shoto and Momo. Kaede ran. She saw the knife flash and put everything into this sprint. For the first time in her life, she wished she had her Quirk to stop that fucking knife from hurtling into Mina's chest. It was only a hand's breadth from its target when Kaede let her foot lunge forward. She meant to kick the hand away, but she was so quick that she hit the knife instead. It caught in her boot. Kaede pushed Mina back as the other villains continued to gather around her. With Quirk, it would have been a piece of cake. Without, she had to make an effort. She pulled the knife from her boot and tossed it to Mina. "Take this." The villains didn't give her a break, though; they were already on her. It was more by chance that she lunged and ran her knife along the neck of a villain. He fell to the ground. Kaede looked down at him in shock, while his own comrades didn't even notice him. Kaede fought with everything she had, even biting one of them. Mina had also taken up the fight again, but was waving her knife wildly rather than having any plan. At the back of the field, someone approached, carrying a large bow. Instead of the small poisoned arrows, he now carried ones with huge tips. "Oh shit." The others were too deep in the fighting to notice that they were new targets. Kaede's eyes followed the archer's every move to estimate the target. Hitoshi. He was fighting with his scarf, of course they were taking out the one who posed the greatest threat. The arrow raced towards him and he even turned and looked towards its end. Kaede threw her knife. She didn't know if it was because she had prayed to the heavens that she would hit or if some spark of her Quirk had awakened to control the knife, but she didn't need an answer, it was enough for her that the arrow was flicked away from her knife just before Hitoshi's face. Shocked, his eyes met hers, but they had no time. Kaede could just read the silent thanks in his gaze when the whirring of another arrow sounded. Kaede looked around to see who it was meant to hit, until it dawned on her at the last moment. She lunged with the knife without knowing where to strike. So many good coincidences happened that day. The arrow fell to the ground. But another arrow was shot. Kaede threw her other knife in Eijiro's direction, this time missing. But it wasn't necessary either. Eijiro was being wrestled down at the moment by a villain who had been caught by the arrow meant for Eijiro. Kaede would have laughed out loud if she hadn't been furious inside because the next arrow was looking for its target. The shooter looked in Shoto's direction. "No-" Panicked, Kaede turned and ran. She no longer had a knife and Shoto could not defend himself, but something... something. She couldn't let Shoto die, she would protect him. And that was the thought that drove her on without thinking. She threw herself in front of Shoto. The arrow not only hit her, it pulled her back. Kaede looked down at herself in shock. "Huh?" The arrow had pierced her side, peeking out the back. Blood ran down the wound, though not much. Kaede grabbed the wooden staff. "I know it's not supposed to be pulled out, but I can't fight like this." With a gasp of pain, she pulled the staff out of her. More blood was oozing from the wound now, but she ignored it. Maybe she could use her Quirk sooner this way. She finally had to take out the archer. She just looked up again when she saw that Hitoshi had already pounced on him. Satisfied, Kaede inhaled. This breath felt as if she was catching her breath for the first time in hours.

Kaede threw herself into the fray again, though not as wildly as before. Her every move hurt, but she had to continue, she had no choice. At any rate, she chose not to have a choice. Again, something caught her attention. The student from the general section who was fighting was kneeling in front of a villain who had his hand on her forehead. Alarmed, Kaede dashed forward. The hero section and Hitoshi had had a lot of combat training, but the girl was lost here. Kaede threw herself at the attacker. When the hand was released from her forehead, she looked around in confusion until she spotted Kaede. "Cover the injured back there!" She nodded and hurried back to the wall as Kaede rolled across the floor with the villain. She squeezed the air out of him with her knee while she fixed his legs with her other leg and held his hands. The image before her eyes blurred and she realised too late that he did not need to touch her forehead to activate his Quirk.