Chapter 43

"You have to look at the camera guys!" Mina held up her instant camera and tried to take a picture of Katsuki, Eijiro, Denki, Hanta and Kaede, while only half of her own face was visible. "I'll go ask Yaomomo if she can copy those." "Kay." The five of them were playing Mario Kart. "Who fired a fucking blue tank at me?!" Excitedly, Denki jumped up. "I'm a rocket!" Kaede's avatar was knocked over by the rocket . "Oh shit!" Hanta won in the end. "How can you do that so well? That rainbow track... I have no words for that."...Izuku was on his way to training when he saw photos lying on the table. There were six identical photos of Bakugo's circle of friends. Izuku kept seeing them sitting together, laughing, eating and putting up with Katsuki's moods. Izuku didn't often think about those days because he had his own friends around him, but right now he was getting thoughtful. He wondered how the four of them had managed to win Kacchan over in such a short time, while he had not managed it until now. Izuku wondered if it was because he had been quirkless or if Katsuki really just wanted Izuku to disappear from his life....

Kaede was in Hawk's appartment. After putting the food in the microwave and cleaning up the mess on his desk, she sat down at his computer. She typed "miharu0901" into the search bar of the encrypted documents and found what she was looking for. A password-protected folder. She wheeled her desk chair to a drawer with heaps of post its on which were passwords for various things, but none for the folder. She thought aloud. "If he goes to the extra trouble and doesn't put the note in the drawer, he doesn't want me to read it." She looked around the room as if the answer was here somewhere. "So he will have chosen as his password something I would never guess. It won't be possible for me to try anything now..." So she followed her second lead. If she couldn't access the digitised version, she would have to resort to the paper version. Even if that meant breaking into his file storage. She couldn't ask him for access if he was so obviously hiding something from her.

As soon as she was through the window, the alarm went off. Kaede knew she had little time to find the folder. She ran to the corridor marked M. The doors were already opening and various people were searching for the housebreaker at the beginnings of the corridors. "Here." She held it in her hand. The folder. Her parents' case. She pressed the folder to her chest and ran back down the corridor to the window. Someone was standing in front of it at the time and wanted to hold her, but she knocked the person over and jumped out the window.

After being knocked down, he just saw the thief jump out of the window. He hurriedly got up again, rushed to the window and stared out. There was nothing there. No one was climbing along the wall of the house, no one had just fallen from the 50th floor and no one was lying in the street below.

Kaede had enjoyed good training even before she joined UA 1A. She knew that one had to prepare well for one's missions. While jumping out the window, she had already hooked on her climbing gear and rappelled to the roof. From there, she got as far away from Hawk's flat as she could.

"The thief was at the files from alphabetical order Me to Mo. We're still checking to see which ones are missing." Hawks arrived half an hour later to look at the crime scene. The window was opened from the outside, the person had prised open the window. After closer examination, it was now also clear that the thief had made off across the rooftops. "Miharu0901 is missing, now the only question is who the thief was." Although Hawks knew this day would come, he turned white as a sheet. "I know who the thief is." More quietly, he added, "This will end in disaster."

Kaede sat in under a porch and read the first page of the file. "Miharu's case. 0901." The first pages depicted how the policemen had found her house at that time. Blood was running from her parents' eye holes, ears, nostrils and mouth. Both were lying on the floor. Kaede now learned for the first time that her parents had died in her playroom. It was also in the file that Kaede herself was present when the heroes and policemen arrived. However, she could not remember this. The next few pages listed further investigations that Kaede did not understand at first. It was about how her Quirk had developed late, but was much more developed than normal. It was about the fact that her Quirk coexisted with her feelings and she didn't know how to dispose of it. Other reports dealt with the subject of the emotional state of young children. She did not understand all these reports about herself and her Quirk until she read the next page. "We conclude that the young daughter Miharu killed her parents by losing control of her Quirk. In doing so, the girl used her Quirk on her parents, causing the injuries." Underneath it said in red: Case solved. "So the case is really solved. I have found who killed my parents." She stared at the red writing. She wasn't disbelieving and she wasn't denying it. After everything she'd been through, she loved to believe that she really was a monster. "I am the murderer. I killed them." She cleared her throat. She was in full control of her emotions, she was more composed than ever. "Hahahaha, I was going to solve the case! You could have told me earlier that the murderer had already been found! At least now I know I was right to sit in tartarus-" tears stifled her joy. "I... I killed them." Hawks had kept it from her. "It was my goal in life. I wanted to bring peace to my parents, I wanted to be a good daughter to them one last time and find their killer. All my work was for nothing, everything.... everything I did!" She stumbled back a few steps. "He stole all that- He stole it from me! He should have told me! It's my right!" As if by accident, her mobile phone rang at that moment.

"Kaede! Where are you? I'm coming for you!" She could hear how out of breath Hawk was, but she didn't answer. Her whole body trembled as she stood there silently, not knowing how to react. "Please, wait for me, let me explain-" "Explain what?" She interrupted him with a sharp tongue, but gave him no time to defend himself. "There is nothing to explain. It's written here, isn't it? I am the murderer. All this time when I was wondering why I was in Tartarus and you wouldn't give me the answer.... I know now." She heard the wind rustling his phone. "You didn't sit in Tartarus for that. Your parents death was an accident. They took you to Tartarus because they were afraid." "What difference does it make!?" She screamed at him through her tears. "I thought the blame lay with some villain! I thought I could be noble and forgive him if I knew his motives! But I am the villain and there is no reason for their death except my own incompetence! Because I am alive they are dead! You knew what I've been through! You and Aizawa, I trusted you! When I met you, I thought I could live happily ever after. I made plans, set goals and you knew that! All the time I worked towards helping my parents, only to find out that you were hiding the truth from me?! That I had to steal the information by force?! Important information that affects me and changes my whole life?" "Nothing changes, we can still-" "Of course everything changes!" Her voice returned to the harsh tone she preferred rather than the high-pitched screech. "Everything changes. I was right to sit in Tartarus. Murderers have to be in prison. It was irresponsible-" "Let's not talk about it on the phone, I'll come to you, I'll be right there. You just have to wait and I'll be with you." His voice was calm, he was trying to manipulate her, of course. "No." "What?" "I won't talk to you, to anyone. I don't want to see you, ever again." He begged her, "Kaede, please!" "So much has happened in my life that I regret. I regret doing many things, but you know what I regret the most? I regret feeling for you. I regret feeling safe with you, laughing with you and being with you." She exhaled deeply. "I hate you Hawks, I hate you with every vein in my body, every bone in my limbs and every spark of life left in me." He didn't know what to say. "Please Kaede, just a moment-" "Shut up." "Don't turn off your emotions, will you? Hold on to that hate if you have to, but please, feel." "What are you thinking? I'm not doing anything for you, nothing, do you understand? The hate is tearing me apart, you're not worthy of me feeling anything for you." "You're already suppressing it, aren't you?" He had already lost it. "I already suppressed it when I read who the killer was." Silence. A silence so loud that her ears buzzed and her head exploded. "Please, what are you doing now? What are you going to do?" A grimace stretched across her face. "I'm doing what you should have done a long time ago." "Kaede no, don't do anything rash!" She slipped the phone into a pocket and went on her way without a care in the world.