Chapter 10

She knew that she had to win now more than ever. When she entered the arena, it was clear to her that she would not lose, she simply would not allow it.
Eijiro smiled shyly and waved to the crowd cheering them on. Kaede also overcame her rigidity and waved to the spectators. When the fight began, they were both in fighting positions. Kaede ran towards Eijiro, jumped up and aimed a kick at his neck, but he interrogated himself amid excited shouts from the audience. Without giving him a break, she struck and pulled at him to throw him over her shoulder, but he stood firm and did not move an inch. Then he too tried to land blows and because Kaede could not protect herself from them, she took quite a beating. Eijiro kicked her feet away so that she landed ungently on the floor. He pulled her by her arms to the edge of the arena and held her so tightly that she could not even turn her arms. Bitter tears gathered in her eyes and she used a trick she didn't really want to win with. "Please Eijiro, not so hard, my arms are hurting already." He looked at her pityingly and eased up a little just before he was about to push her over the edge. With a jerk she pulled her arms up and freed them and in the same breath she poked her opponent in the eyes, the one place he probably hadn't expected to be hit. He was startled and staggered back a few steps. Kaede took advantage of this. She ran towards him and simply knocked him down. The last part of the way, she pushed him over the edge of the battlefield.

"You fought well Eijiro and you would have defeated me with sheer strength, just if you hadn't felt sorry for me." She helped him up. "I don't usually harden my eyes because I feel so blind with them, maybe I should work on that." But he didn't seem sad. "At least I got to show everyone what a manly fight we had! Why didn't you use your Quirk, anyway?" She took a quick look around to see who was standing nearby as they walked together back to the waiting rooms. "My Quirk is meant to destroy. I usually do irreparable damage with it. Besides, I wouldn't have been able to concentrate under the gaze of all those people anyway." Eijiro nodded, "Understandable."Her steps were lighter, more carefree, when she told him about her Quirk.

"You did it Kaede!" As she walked to her classmates in the audience, they greeted her excitedly. She smiled proudly and sat down next to Momo. "How did everyone else's fights go?" "Izuku won against Shinsou, you just missed Mina's fight, she won then, and now it's Bakugo's turn against Ochako." Kaede looked down into the arena.

She admired Ochako's fighting spirit. Even when everyone knew that Bakugon was very good, she did not give up and kept fighting. She lost, but she had encouraged all the participants in the duel to fight. This courage vanished again when Shoto immobilised Hanta with a blow. When Mina arrived, they hugged each other and exchanged stories about their fights. When everyone had gone through their first fight, the new order was announced:
Kaede would fight Tenya.
"This time I want to come up with a strategy on my own!" Kaede smiled encouragingly at Mina, "You can do it!"
Coming up with a strategy against Tenya was extremely difficult. His speed and strong attacks would not allow her to last long in close combat, but there was nothing else she could do, so she had to try. She simply lacked the time to collect herself in the fight and block everything out.
So she fought. When she faced Tenya, she fought doggedly to stay on her feet, but it was no use. Tenya grabbed her and brought her over the line with enormous speed. And she would have lost already, too, if she hadn't clung to his arm. With her legs bent, she wrapped herself around Tenya's neck and cut off his air. While he tried to untie her legs, he went down and tried to press her to the ground, but he lost his balance. Tenya staggered a few steps. Steps that were still within bounds, but when Kaede shifted her weight it pulled him over and he landed on his back, Kaede on top of him.
"Kaede Miharu has won what seemed a hopeless fight!"

So she was to face Todoroki.