14: Training Camp Arc

Kaede had fallen asleep by the window and was woken by Aizawa. "Don't blame me again for sleeping during the day." She rubbed her eyes and trotted out of the bus behind him, cursing in her mind the classmates who had not woken her. The others stood at the edge of the observation deck. She couldn't see a toilet or anything else anywhere. "This doesn't look like a rest area-" She quickly turned around and saw the others in front talking to three heroes. The Pussycats. "I've got a funny feeling, I think I'll wait for the break on the bus..." When she saw Mina and Eijiro running towards the bus calling her name she turned back around but Aizawa grabbed her arm, threw her at Denki and shouted, "Do your best, training camp has already started!" As they crashed down with the rocks, Aizawa cursed them. It was Tsuyu, Hanta, Shoto, Ochako and Fumikage who tried to soften the students' falls. Katsuki saved himself with his explosions, while Kaede, together with Denki, was made weightless by Ochako. "You might as well have saved more than yourself, Bakugo!" "If you can't even save yourself, how will you become a hero and save others?" She glared at him angrily and was about to retort when Eijiro intervened. "Well, she's right. Something could have happened to us if the others hadn't helped us." Kaede wondered how two people who were so obviously the opposite of each other got along so well. The angry katsuki exhaled loudly, put his hands in his pockets and turned his back on the reassuring Eijiro. All of them wanted to eat something today, so they left quickly.

Kaede made it her business to check that they would all arrive as a group. While most of the others fought the stone creatures, Kaede controlled that the group stayed close together by applying pressure on the flanks. When they arrived, she dropped to the ground, exhausted. Denki had kept running in the wrong direction and Koji would rather be hit by the creatures than fight them. Kaede also had the feeling Toru was getting lost in the fray and had to make sure that both Toru and Yuga, who took the wrong path every time, were not hit by Katsuki's explosions. They slowly gathered in the square and trotted together. Kaede lowered herself to the ground and Mina, Denki, Hanta and Toru also joined her. "I haven't the faintest idea what's going on here right now." Mina rested her head on Kaede's shoulder, "Neither do I, but Tenya is about to repeat everything anyway." He did. At the dining table, everyone was too busy shovelling food into their mouths to talk. Afterwards they bathed and went straight to sleep. The next few days would be no less exhausting.

...

Each of them learned to hate Aizawa, or at least his training method. Kaede had trained with him since she was little, but never with such extreme focus on a goal. To increase the capacity of her Quirk, she should sit in the middle of the square, where most of the action was. It was her job to scratch the emotions of the individuals around her. Not to probe deeper and not to focus on one, but simply to notice who was where, how they moved and so on. She was not to be distracted by the loud explosions of Katsuki, the waves of flame from Shoto and the others working hard on the field. While concentrating on the spiritual level, she had to write a text at the same time so that she learned to use both at the same time. She felt how hard everyone was working and she also felt how shocked the B class students were when they arrived. It was chaos, a battlefield, and now the other students were allowed to share in it. At the end of the day they were exhausted. No one had made much progress yet, they had just got used to their tasks. When Mina and the other tutors had to go to Aizawa's in the evening, they were pitied by everyone else, because the next day they were walking corpses. "I'm so tired." Mina had heavy bags under her eyes, which reinforced her statement. "Well, if you had passed the exam, you wouldn't be tired now." Aizawa now sent them to work as well. He went to Kaede. "Are you tired too?" She shook her head. "Well then, I can certainly give you an extra task, right?" Her expression darkened and Aizawa patted her shoulder. "I want you to put pressure on Eijiro and Tetsutetsu every few minutes. For one thing, it boosts their Quirk capacity, and for you, too, it ensures that you can use several things at once and at a further distance." She nodded. "That's right." "Then I look forward to seeing your results." She glanced after him as he went to other students. Kaede was doing her exercises. She wrote an essay, was aware of the emotions around her and kept pushing Eijiro and Tetsutetsu to the floor.

This evening the girls bathed together. "I can't do anything anymore, I can't feel my hands, I feel completely empty," Mina cried. "I can't really complain, after all I was able to make up for the lipids my Quirk used up, but it was still exhausting." Momo sat back with a sigh. "I feel like the longer I practice, the more I can stand the nausea! I can really feel the change!" "I'm totally happy that you can already feel an improvement Ochako!" "How is it going with you Kaede?" Kaede turned in the water so that she was now kneeling. "Well, my job is to use many aspects of my Quirk at the same time while doing another task. I honestly don't notice anything at the moment, I'm so tired. But I think it's easier for me to feel emotions while I'm concentrating on something else. Anyway, I can't tell how much I've improved until I'm less exhausted." Kaede thrust her legs forward and leaned against the stone behind her. "And how about the rest of you?" They told how their day had been, how tired they were now and that they were looking forward to their bed.