Chapter 34

They ran through the burnt rubble and did not meet a soul. When they stood on the edge, they looked down at the streets. They were very high in the tower. "Take those." Momo handed out parachutes. "How do you even use these?" "Pull the cord if you panic. Yosetsu, you strap in neito, Katsuki take Kaede. Let's go." Momo tied the parachute around herself and jumped. Puzzled, the others just looked after her until they too put on their parachutes. Itzka jumped right after. Katsuki leaned Kaede against the wall and took the straps, while Yosetsu simply tied Neito to him. "I'm jumping already." "Go ahead." Grumpily, Katsuki turned to Kaede. "Now you." She braced herself against the wall and he was about to help her climb into the straps when they both saw something flash out of the corner of their eyes. They both acted without thinking. Katsuki fired a blast and stood in front of kaede while she pulled on his backpack from behind. Surprised, he lost his balance and fell backwards through the crater before the shots could hit him. He grabbed Kaede by her hair and pulled her into the abyss behind him. He lost his grip. Bakugo had to watch her fall. Again. There was so much wind up there that he was forced to let go of her, but he used explosions to get back in her direction. He quickly grabbed her and pressed her to his chest. Unhandedly, he grabbed the line and opened the parachute. He heard gunshots, but the bullets did not hit. The wind pulled at the weight in his arms, but he pressed her against him. He landed in the middle of the road. Heroes who had already blocked everything off after the explosion, came running to him. "She's hurt, we need a doctor!" One hero took her from him and he watched as she was taken to an ambulance where Neito was already lying. Momo was talking to a hero nearby, explaining the situation. Katsuki looked around. Blue lights, heroes, debris, devastation and injured. Nothing had changed since then.

"You have done well. You did everything you could, that's all anyone can ask of you." Katsuki wrinkled his nose. "Everything went wrong." "But it's not your fault. The UA bears the responsibility. We sent you to this event, you couldn't have expected it." "Why were we chosen in the first place?" Momo interjected and Aizawa sighed. "We don't know. It's unclear why the confirmation was given. We're investigating whether we were manipulated by a Quirk." "That doesn't change anything." Katsuki raised his voice again. "Copy guy and Kaede are both in hospital!" "They are already being taken care of, now it's wait and see. I'll take you back to the school."

They arrived at the dormitory in the middle of the night. Everyone was asleep, no one had noticed anything that had happened. "I don't think I can sleep now." Momo looked at Katsuki. "Do you think we should wake the others and let them know?" "Why should we, they'll find out tomorrow anyway. I'm going to sleep now." Momo thought about it and bit her lips before bringing it up. "Earlier you seemed like you cared that the others were hurt. Now..." "I dont care, just shut up." He left her standing in the living room, already trudging up the stairs.

Pale faces stared back at Momo. "So they've been at the hospital for hours?" "I haven't heard anything since I arrived here with Katsuki tonight." Apologetically, Momo sat down. "I'm still so upset." Mina rubbed her back encouragingly. "Where is Kacchan anyway?" He wasn't in the room, unlike the rest of the class. They asked Momo more questions about last night. "Kacchan!" They turned to the door and katsuki came in, dressed in training clothes. "Don't bug me nerd!" "We were wondering where you were, Momo told us about yesterday. About Kaede and Neito." "It's their own fault. Whatever shit that was, they have to take it out on themselves." Astonished, the class looked after him. Momo was simply confused. Knocked on the head, the class remained in the living room until Aizawa came through the door. They bombarded him with questions. "How are the others?" "When will they be back?" "What about the criminals?" "If you are quiet, I will answer your questions." They became quiet as mice. "Monoma has been released. He was only in pain because he had copied Kaede's Quirk without being able to handle it. The injuries he still has now are being healed here at UA." "What kind of injuries does he have?" Concerned, Kyoka turned around. Aizawa sighed. "You must know that it would have been worse if Kaede hadn't alleviated the side effects-" "Was that the symbol on her forehead?" "Yes, that's what that symbol means. Kaede took the pain away from him and transferred it to herself." The students marvelled and looked at each other. "While Neito's blood isn't circulating properly, so he's still temporarily paralysed, and he's still in a difficult place mentally, Kaede is so bad that she had to be transported to another hospital out of town, where she's now being treated by specialist staff." "What kind of professionals?" "Where?" "Can we see her?" He massaged his temples while the students shouted repeatedly in confusion. "Specialist staff to help her get better. She's unresponsive at the moment, visiting would be impractical." "Please Mr Aizawa, we must see for ourselves that she is well." Tsuyu's eyes glazed over as she pleaded and Ochko's hand tightened in Tsuyu's tshirt. "She would want us to come." Aizawa doubted that. Kaede wouldn't want the others to see her in this state, but it wasn't just about Kaede, he had a responsibility to the other students as well. "It's a... special hospital. I can't take many, two at most. Agree among yourselves who will go there with me and then come out in 15 minutes. bring your hero licenses." "For what-" "I'll sleep till then." To avoid the questions, Aizawa lay down on the couch.

Bakugo watched Mina and Tsuyu as they went out and followed Aizawa. He wondered what kind of hospital Kaede was in at the moment. What was so bad about her condition that she couldn't be treated in a normal hospital or even by Recovery girl? Every day this girl gave him more reasons to wonder about her, whether it was her actions or her secrets. Maybe it was all connected to her past, maybe that was why she was treated somewhere else. He had to find out where. "Heyy Nerd!" Izuku turned to him. Katsuki hesitated. Maybe he shouldn't ask him for help after all. It was his business, Kaede's business. "Did you make One for All yours?" He smiled as Deku looked around frantically, but didn't care for the answer he gave. He cared about something else.

Tubes covered her body. The room was filled with the buzzing and beeping of equipment while a nurse changed an IV, another applied a needle and a doctor had his hands on her head with his eyes closed. "What are they doing?" Mina was exceptionally quiet. She was observing. "The monitor shows her Quirk activity. That one her heart, the other her blood work. There should be a sedative in the bags, but they're also giving her a drug that makes her muscles tense and restricts her thinking if something happens." "What does the doctor do?" "He separates her sleeping consciousness from the consciousness of her Quirk." "I don't understand." Aizawa sighed sympathetically. "This is a special facility. People with special Quirks are treated here. In a normal hospital I would have to be present to erase their Quirk, here it is only necessary in an emergency. The doctors think of a method, individually adapted to the patient. So they just try to keep Kaede away from her Quirk that causes her pain." Mina and Tsuyu were worried in agreement. "I ask you not to talk about the details with the others, Kaede wouldn't want that." They continued to stare through the glass. "I think something is wrong with them ribbit." Alarmed, Aizawa again watched the staff. They were standing in the same place as before, but the hands on Kaede's forehead were barely noticeably shaking and the aide who was now standing at the monitors had sweat running from her forehead. Aizawa activated his Quirk and entered the room even as the doctor toppled over and the nurses braced themselves against the bed. An alarm sounded. Panicked and overwhelmed, Tsuyu and Mina ran after it, but were stopped by security personnel. They could only watch helplessly. Aizawa sat kaede up and pulled the needle from her arm. "Look at me." She looked at him, her gaze so much clearer than usual. "It could always be like this. Perfect." He smiled sadly. "I hate those sarcastic jokes. You get that from Keigo." She leaned her head against his chest. "I feel complete." "I know honey." "I don't want to be here." "I know." He sat there with her as the alarm continued to make her ears bleed. New staff entered the room. "Plug her back in." They tried to push Kaede back onto the bed, but she held onto Aizawa. "Give me a minute." "It's dangerous." "Give me a minute to hold my girl!" "You have no authority here!" "I'm sorry. Kaede, you can do this, I'm here." Slowly, he moved away from her. "I'll ask you to leave." Someone rammed another syringe down Kaede's throat, but Aizawa knew there was nothing he could do about it, nothing he should do. Even if he and the UA had custody of her and she was a human being like any other, if it had anything to do with her Quirk, she would be treated like dirt again. The Hero Commission then had power, could make decisions. That's why it was so important to control her Quirk. Not because it was dangerous, but because one tiny mistake was enough to take away everything Kaede had gained.