Chapter 41

Another day on Patrol with Hawks. As always. Only this time, people knew she was his sister, but that didn't stop them from getting close to them. A very normal incident happened. A man, who was obviously blind, just walked across the street. Hawks saved him with many feathers by stopping the truck that was speeding towards the blind man. In addition to this, Hawks collected many tiny marbles that had slipped out of the man's bags at the same time as the feathers. Hawks' capacity was fully utilised at that moment. Kaede stood alone a few metres behind him and stopped a car until the situation was resolved. It was seconds. A tiny second. Someone was teleporting. The quirk of teleportation was the most dangerous because it could never be counted on. The teleporter was standing behind Kaede. She wheeled around to get a picture of the situation and was already attacking when a second man held a finger against her forehead. She collapsed and the teleporter took her away.

"What do you want from me?" If she had access to her Quirk, the men would have been down long ago, but something suppressed her Quirk. "We don't want anything from you. We need Hawks. With you, we can blackmail him." The leader paced back and forth in front of the pillar she was tied to. "For years, Hero Number Two has seemed interested in nothing but his work, but then you showed up. A sister. What is he willing to do for you? I am very anxious to know the answer to that. The photos were cute, you know? The way he looked at you while you were sleeping. Very sweet. But now, unfortunately, we had to break his heart. No sooner does an incident take place, quite by accident of course," he grinned cheekily, "and he lets you out of his sight for a very short time, than you disappear." He tousled her hair, but she pulled her head away. "We had to pay a fortune for the teleporter, but I don't think we could have caught you any other way. Let's hope Hawks meets our demands." He clapped his hands. "Get everything ready for the video!" Someone slid a video camera in front of them. "So little one, here's the plan: we're going to make a video of you. You beg nicely, all that hostage and kidnap stuff. We send the video. One to Hawks and one to the UA to put pressure on them. Sounds like fun, right?" She knelt in front of the column, her arms and legs chained so she couldn't change her position. "Video start." First he stood in front of her, covering her. "This video, this message, is for Hawks." He stepped aside and pointed at Kaede. Angered, he raised his voice. "Don't sleep now, we're filming!" She opened her eyes. "You're boring, I can't help sleeping." He shook his head and continued. "As you see we have the girl. Fulfil our demands-" "Don't." He gave her a look. "Now the girl is still strong and healthy. Unharmed. But she won't be like that when you get her back. We will break her, just give us time. The longer you delay, the more broken she'll be." "He'll come and kick your asses. Better escape now before it's too late." The leader came towards them, menacingly. "Such big talk you're making." He grabbed her face and she gasped as her face burned. "The acid burns, doesn't it?" "No, it doesn't." He smiled at her encouragingly. "Then I guess we'll have to bring out stronger guns, won't we?" Motivated, he called one of the men over. He pressed Kaede's head against the wall. She knew directly that he possessed a mental Quirk. He made her see things. Things that did not really exist. He was in her head, but she tried to push him away, instead of rooting around in her emotions, in his. A sharp pain pierced her body, starting from her arm. "Trying to use your Quirk will only bring you more pain." Tears formed in her eyes and her face burned. "Do what you want, I won't give in until Hawks gets here. I'll watch him-" Her head was rammed against the pillar. "If that little brat keeps babbling like that for the next few days, I'm going to have to teach her how best to deal with her captors in a smaller circle." He ended the video with a dirty grin.

"Give her another dose, just to be safe." Someone approached them with a syringe. He took her arm and pushed up her sleeve. He stared at her arm, at her scars. His gaze fell on the deep scar on her wrist. She knew now that her good judge of character was not based on her Quirk. This man was a good man, even if he was on the wrong side. He stuck the injection where she had received thousands throughout her life. He sent her to the land of dreams.

...

People were running back and forth everywhere in the agency. Those on the move were trying to look busy so they wouldn't be the next to be yelled at by Hawks. This aggressive state of the hero did not last long. It was shortly after he received the video that he started shouting at his employees to get information. When all the tasks were distributed, he became calm. Too calm. Dangerously calm. He sat on the sofa, legs comfortably crossed and sipping a cup of coffee. His secretary sat down next to him. "I have already selected groups that we could request. Also, information analysed from the video is already available-" "The UA is calling again!" "Tell them the same thing as five minutes ago!" Two shouted at each other across half the floor. Hawks loved his staff. "We can't request groups, the Hero Commission won't approve it. If she can't free herself on her own she's no good, they don't want to expend resources to save her. That's how they feel about Kaede. We can ask Eraser to help us. The UA teachers can't all drop everything, but maybe someone else can be found. I'll ask Fumikage, that's all I can do." He took another sip of coffee. "It will be like she said, no matter how many we are: I'll come and kick their asses."

...

Aizawa and Midnight were already waiting at the meeting point. "It was a wise decision not to tell the students. Who knows what they would have done again." "We just have to hope that Fumikage doesn't spill the beans. But I also don't want to imagine the class when they find out that Fumikage knew about it and didn't say anything." "It's just a difficult situation." Aizawa saw something orange flash out of the corner of his eye. "At least Joke won't see it as a difficult situation." "Hellooooo guys!" She poked Aizawa in the side. "Did you miss me?" "no." "Hahahaha, good one!" Aizawa just sighed. They accepted Joke's attempts to cheer them up until Hawks arrived and the meeting began. "Thank you for agreeing to do this. Now that I've found the right place after 32 hours since receiving the video, we need to act fast. The group we are confronting is radical, will not listen to reason and is impatient. We will storm. Through the ventilation shafts, Midnight will disable everyone in the building. The rest will be taken care of by the three of us. I want to get her out of there without so much as a scratch." In their minds, they were all thinking the same thing: hopefully it wasn't too late. They rushed. Midnight's gas incapacitated some of the criminals, so the others just had to roughly beat their way out. They came to the middle of a large warehouse, but no sign of the hostage. "Where is she?" Hawks squeezed the air from one man as he pushed him roughly against the wall. He moved threateningly closer and whispered in a dangerously raspy voice, "I'll only ask once." "You won't see her, birdie. You've lost your chance! Ace will punish her for your mistakes. You should have met our demands-" He rammed the man's head against the wall and pinned it with a red feather to the spot where he lost consciousness. Breathing heavily, he looked around. Nothing.