Chapter 45

"So here's plan A. You students will surround her. Don't get too close, give her space. All you have to do is block her escape routes until I have her in sight to erase her Quirk." "And plan B?" "Just don't fuck up plan A you damn nerd." Katsuki stood leaning against the wall, staring at Izuku in annoyance. "Plan B is for emergencies. If she escapes before I get there, Shinsou will intervene. We've already discussed how he'll get her to activate his Quirk. Then he'll force her to feel her emotions again." "But that sounds much easier than plan A..." "It is easier, but it has side effects. We don't know if Kaede will really respond if Shinsou says something. Besides, it's unknown how both Quirks will react to each other. So plan A is the safe option for now."

Kaede had already been holding on to the bar of the train for a few minutes. It was windy, but bearable. As soon as the train stopped, she ran. She took the exit via the stairs and ran while taking care to cover her face with the hood of her coat. When she saw that there were no more people at the exit to the daylight, she became suspicious. She turned to take the lift, but behind her were Shoto, Kyoka and Tsuyu. They said nothing, but just stood there without moving. Kaede wanted to continue up the stairs, but Eijiro, Hanta and Katsuki were now standing on the top landing. Behind them, Kaede could also see Mina and Momo. Katsuki looked into her eyes. The sparkle was gone, they were dull and without the beautiful shine. She looked terrible. But she did not look into his eyes. She was still looking at the floor when Aizawa's footsteps sounded. "Kaede, please look at me." She did not move. Aizawa sighed. "Asui, Sero." At the same time, Tsuyu's tongue was coming at her from one side, while Hanta was shooting his tape on the other and Aizawa was trying to hit her with his scarf. She easily dodged the scarf, knotting it with Hanta's tape in the process. Tsuyu's tongue, however, wrapped around her body. Aizawa was already shouting, "Todoroki!" when Kaede grabbed the tongue and pulled so hard that Tsuyu fell forward. Shoto attacked Kaede. He was obviously trying to make sure Aizawa made eye contact, but she would not do it that easily. Shoto's ice, which was supposed to stick her to the ground, failed. That was the signal for the third group to attack. Kaede, however, had no intention of fighting. She leaned on Shoto's shoulder and jumped up to the railing, disappearing onto a platform before katsuki's explosions hit and the others reached her. The fourth group, who had been watching from the background, now took up pursuit. "It's up to them now." Aizawa looked worriedly behind. "Those fucking extras better bring her back.

She was followed by Tenya and Izuku, at least they were right behind her. As she ran across an intersection full of cars, her friends held their breath, but she easily dodged every obstacle and jumped over the next truck onto a lamppost. She jumped to the next building facade and pulled herself up on a pipe. Tenya stayed on the ground, but Izuku jumped up and pulled himself up the pipe as well. The house was not high, but it was enough to have an overview of the streets. Because the houses in the row were very close together, she could jump from roof to roof. She knew she had to outrun Izuku to escape and although she felt nothing, something kept her from hurting him. Something hit her in the back and knocked her off balance. Izuku had fired fierce winds at her, causing her to fall sideways off the building. Her fingers clawed into the window ledge below her, leaving her dangling over the street. "Give me your hand Kaede!" She looked into his green eyes. In the past they had always lit up when he talked about heroes, or being a hero, but now his brow was furrowed and his gaze was determined. "I won't let you get away." "Izuku, I promise you I won't let myself get away with it either." She let herself fall, trying to stay as close to the wall of the house as possible so that she could hold on to the next window. When she did it again, her fingers slipped this time, causing her to fall down the rest. She landed on her feet and her left leg buckled. She didn't feel the pain, but her foot always buckled when she stood. "Broken, shit!" The others were starting to get on her nerves. Tenya came running from the side and tried to grab her, but she leaned away. He sent a kick into her side that she hadn't expected. The speed and force of the attack threw her away. At least she took advantage of the attack because she now ran away into the nearby side alley.

"Everything is going as planned. She is running in exactly the right direction." "But she doesn't think about the fact that Tenya threw her straight into the escape route, does she?" "I don't know what she's thinking about, but not that we have a plan."

As soon as she entered the alley, she knew she had made a mistake. The alley was quite long, without the possibility of climbing up the side walls. Tenya and Izuku were already at her back, while in front of her, many metres away, Yuga, Ochako and Fumikage waited. "Alright guys..." She sprinted towards the three, trying to escape their quick attacks behind her. Ochako's eyes snapped open, "She won't-" "Oh yes she will, get ready!" Dark Shadow disengaged from Fumikage and Yuga braced his hands on his hips, berit to fire. Kaede kept running, ready to hit there like a bomb, when suddenly she heard something. Hearing the voice, she felt nothing for the high pitched beep calling her name, she wouldn't admit that, she was just surprised. "Kaede, please wait for me!" Kaede stopped in shock. "Eri?!" At first she couldn't believe they had brought Eri, but when she couldn't move or think any further she knew she had fallen straight into the trap. She resisted the influence of Shinsou's Quirk. "Take off your hood and look at Eraser above you." She gritted her teeth, but her arms moved on their own. The hood fell. Her gaze lifted. Aizawa hesitated a moment before erasing her Quirk. The sight of her empty eyes hurt him. It hurt him to see her eyes without emotion, but when he erased her Quirk, it hurt him much more to watch all the accumulated feelings come back to her all at once.

Kaede fell to her knees. In retrospect, she did not know whether it was because of her physical pain or her mental pain. Her leg hurt like hell, but it was nothing compared to the bullet holes. They had not hit any vital organs, but the bullets had penetrated even deeper because of the running and climbing. She tried to focus on the physical pain, because the confusing and twisting emotions for everyone else were too much for her. She was glad that her vision was blurring, because that way she didn't have to look the others in the eye. But she fought unconsciousness, because if she woke up, she would have to deal with everything. "I'm so sorry, guys, I... I-" "It's not your fault dear." Aizawa stroked her back. "We should have handled it differently, you should have known before. It was foreseeable that you would react like this because-" "Because I'm a villain." Before Aizawa could say anything in reply, she was shouted at. "How many times do we have to tell you, anyway, that you're not a fucking villain!" "Katsuki bakugo, you stop yelling right now." "I'm not going to stop until she finally gets it!" She heard his angry footsteps coming closer. He sat down next to Aizawa and whispered something in her ear that none of the others understood. He brushed her hair away so she could feel his warm breath right against her ear, against her skin, "When I look at you, I don't see a villain. I see no one who destroys, theres only you. I see someone who has been scarred, who has fought, for years and is still standing. So stand up, one last time, and we'll all go home together."The others saw more gold shine in Kaede's eyes. They saw the smile she gave Bakugo, a radiant smile without a doubt. And they also saw Katsuki linger on her neck a moment longer than was necessary. They saw his closed eyes and how he breathed in the scent in a moment that felt like an eternity. Aizawa saw them both and he knew.

Kaede coughed as she tried to laugh. "But before we go home, I should go to the hospital for a moment, everything hurts." Concerned, Aizawa leaned towards her. "What hurts? Hawks said something about gunshots, but if it had been bad you would have had it taken care of right away, wouldn't you?" When she didn't look directly at him, but just stared at the floor, he spoke up, "Wouldn't you?" Nervously she laughed, "Well..." Without waiting, Aizawa pulled open her coat and saw the blood. "Kaede, you are the stupidest person I have ever met!" "Don't worry, my body is just too overwhelmed with my emotions to die right now. Besides, we're in a dirty back alley, do you really think I want to die here?" Aizawa didn't laugh at all.