Meeting Oni

Chapter 12
Meeting Oni

“Okay Charles Albright, easy…” Koruna gave him a wider gap.

He frowned… “Who?”

“The eye ball killer from Texas in the 90s… Never mind.” She looked away.

“Do you like killers as well?”

“As well?” Koruna raised her brow.

He looked at her blankly before his lips curved into a smirk which was the first sign of emotion she had seen since she started conversing with him.

“I don’t understand what you mean by like but I do understand the need for violence sometimes, only when it is necessary and not because you are in a mood.”

“At what point does it become necessary to kill someone?” He dropped his pen.

“Self-defense mostly.”

“Based on whose moral ambiguity?” He continued.

“A general consensus, and which is why we have laws.” Koruna met his gaze.

“Laws are meant to be broken and are not without flaws.” He argued calmly.

“Nothing is without flaws, which is the entire point of a system. It provides structure. People might break the law but there is a provision for consequences.” She folded her arms.

“What happens when people are above the law, who punishes them then?”

Koruna paused and whispered.

“Who is above the law?”

“Many people like the Arks family.” He said without wincing or lowering his voice.

She nodded and shrugged.
“What happens then?”

Koruna sighed “If you cannot beat them, leave them or join them and beat them. The best way to destroy anything is from inside out. Do you have a grudge against the family?”

“How can I have a grudge against my family?” He picked his pen and continued.

“Oooooh, so you are…?”

“I am Oni, an Ark and you are?”

“Koruna, a Ballan.”
He stared at her in surprise.

“You don’t look or feel like them.”

“And what do they look or feel like?” She smirked.

“Plastic, empty and attractive.” He said without missing a beat.

“Are you calling me unattractive?”

“Was that the only thing you got from our conversation?”

“Yes and it’s not like you look or feel like an Ark family either.”

“I refuse to engage in any childish conversation with you.” He continued.
A beat later.

“And what do the Arks look like?”

Koruna smiled cockily… “I thought this conversation was too juvenile for you.”

“I can allow that.”

“Okay your highness… It meant nothing. I just said that to get back at you for the attractive thing.”

“So you are childish.” He remarked.

“And you are annoying.”

“That is debatable.” He argued.

“Do you have to have the last word?”