Crazy Day

Chapter 55
Crazy day

“Can someone explain this to me?” Oni asked indifferently and shifted backwards when Lola moved closer to him.

“Why ruin the surprise? You’ll find out eventually.” Flora grinned.

One of Ati’s men helped carry Bernie to Flora’s truck as she drove him home. Flora chuckled at how harmless he looked with his eyes closed.

Bernie groaned and slowly opened his eyes, he dazedly looked around and saw Flora driving. His memories of puking and fainting drifted through his brain, he got so embarrassed that he wanted to close his eyes and pretend that nothing ever happened but Flora already caught his eyes.

“I’m sorry.” He groaned out loud and avoided her gaze.

“It’s okay, I have always wanted a prince in distress.” She teased.

“Ugggghhhh, please don’t. I feel bad enough as it is.”

“You shouldn’t feel bad, it’s a natural reaction for a first timer. It is not a bad thing, it’s good to know that there are some people untainted by the world’s gruesome acts of violence.” She comforted him, she liked that in some ways he was innocent.

“I am not untainted, it makes me sound like a blushing virgin bride.”

“You said the words and not me.”

“So you were thinking it.”

“A little, I mean look at your flawless fair skin. It is novel that a man takes care of himself that way.” She continued to tease him.

“The skin is God’s work and stop doing that.”

“Why? It is fun.” She chuckled while turning a corner into the Elites.

“I want you to look at me as a man and not some fragile handsome prince.” He murmured.

“What is wrong with a fragile handsome prince? A man is still a man regardless. Don’t tell me that you are one of those traditionalists who believe that a man should be a strong emotionless rock.”

“Nothing that extreme but I think a man should be able to protect and provide for the people he cares about, today I did neither when it mattered.” He refused to look at her and continued to look through the window.

Flora saw that it mattered to him how she saw him, she was impressed at the way he handled himself and she smiled at him.

“Don’t be so hard on yourself, you didn’t freeze and you didn’t run. If there was a grade to be given for quick thinking, I would give it to you. Don’t be so hard on yourself, I think it was a good thing you threw up your guts. It made you seem humane, at first you looked unreachable.”

Bernie looked at her carefully. “Am I still unreachable to you?”

“Why do you like me Bernie?”

“Do I need a reason?”

“How can you like someone without a reason? Does that make sense?” Flora scoffed.

“If I were to think about it, I can’t point at any reason in particular because I like all parts of you.” He focused his attention on her as if he wanted to communicate his sincerity. Ever since he saw her, there was no day that passed that he didn’t think about her. At first, he thought that it was infatuation since he had not met someone from Flames especially one so full of life, then he assumed it was lust since she had such a curvaceous body. Over time, he had come to realize that it was more than that, he genuinely was falling for her, this was why he took the chance to come to Flames so that he could stop being passive.