The Compromise

Chapter 44
Compromise

Jacob chuckled, “More than enough.”

“How much do you think is enough, like how much is your son worth?” Koruna eyed him from the top of her glass.

“I am a busy man Koruna Ballan, I am not one for games. Give me a number.” Jacob said.

“I can’t.”

“You can’t?”

“I can’t.”

“Why? Because you are so in love with my son?” He scoffed.

“No, not that.” She shook her head.

“Then what?!”

“First, for me to leave your son alone; I would have to actually have him and I don’t. We are not together.” She shrugged.

“Not together?”

“You have a habit of repeating people’s words, do you know that?”

Jacob sighed, “He broke up his engagement for you and you say you are not together?”

“He broke his engagement for him, is it a loveless marriage you want for your only son?” She asked.

Jacob laughed out loud, Koruna stared strangely at him, “Love is not a luxury the family can afford and R’ao isn’t capable of love.”

“Why? Because you think he’s a psychopath?” She smiled at them when Oni and Jacob blinked at her response.

“He told you.” Oni sighed.

“And you think you can handle that?” Jacob pressed.

“What’s there to handle?”

“Him” Oni answered.

“There might be more to him than that.” Koruna argued.

“There isn’t and that is the point. Tell me that you don’t think he was misdiagnosed and you believe that he could change for you.” Jacob thought that she was deluded.

“She’s realistic.” Oni defended.

“You are defending her, what kind of spell did she weave?” Jacob shook his head.

“What is the possibility that this doctor was wrong?” Koruna ignored Jacob’s condescending stare.

“I had more than one doctor take a look at him, you think I wanted my only son to be a ticking bomb?” Jacob said casually.

“Are you sure?” She raised her brow.

Jacob sighed, “As sure as a father can be and if you don’t trust what I have to say, you can ask Oni. I can’t believe I have to explain myself to a Ballan.”

“If it makes you feel better, I have not come into myself as a Ballan either. You can think of me as that girl from the Flames and psycho or not; it doesn’t change how I feel about him, if anything it makes him more interesting. You know what they say about good girls and bad boys.”

“No.” Oni mused.

“You think you are a good girl and R’ao is a bad boy?”
Jacob frowned once again in confusion.

“No, it’s just something people say.” Koruna replied.

“I haven’t heard anyone say that, have you Oni?” Jacob asked and Oni shook his head.

“Well, they say that a lot in the Flames.” Koruna shrugged.

Jacob grinned, “Never heard that there either.”