Blames and Shades

Chapter 64
Blames and Shades

The girl with the buzz cut frowned in response to Koruna’s accusation, she had no reaction but waited for the tattooed girl to respond but didn’t pay her any mind, she pulled Koruna’s hair backwards again and tried to slam it on the desk. Koruna was prepared this time and blocked the table with her hand.

“Okay, it was me.” Koruna smiled through her bleeding nose.

She scoffed and tried to repeat the action when Koruna held her hand and pulled it off her. Some of her hair had fallen round her face as a result of the attack, she looked back at the girl and her followers. They were in blue which meant according to the rules of this place, they were above her. She wondered if she were to fight, if the zap would go off. She had already had enough for the day if she was being honest.

“Why would you date someone like that in the first place, he seems way beneath you with the piercings and tattoos.” Koruna took note of her, it looked like she was trying too hard to be bad. A rebellious stage Koruna assumed.

The tattooed girl smirked and nodded her head at the other girls, they came close to Koruna, one of them held a broken glass cup. Koruna looked around and saw that the guards had turned their backs seemingly uninterested in what was happening. Others watched out of curiosity, the girls held her arms down as the one with the broken glass brought it close to her face. Her hand was caught by R’ao who stared down at the girl like she was inconsequential and flinged away like she weighed nothing.

The tattooed girl stared him down and sent the others after him, he did more of flinging than hitting since they were women. The tattooed girl saw that she had no chance and took the broken piece of glass on the floor, she tried to stab him while he was distracted but Koruna pulled her hair backwards. She kicked her knee and when she was about to hit the floor, she introduced her knee to the tattooed girl’s face, there was a bone crunching sound. Koruna smirked and squatted so they were on the same level, “Now, we are even.”

R’ao looked at her, Koruna rolled her eyes in response and muttered “I could have handled it myself.” R’ao smiled at her, she shrugged back in response.

The buzz cut girl raised her hand to introduce herself, “I’m Rika” Immediately she said her name, she screamed in pain. Koruna tried to touch her but was held back by R’ao. “No names” He murmured.

“Why didn’t Simi say anything?” Koruna whispered.

“She didn’t have to.” He answered.

Rika sighed in relief when then pain stopped, “It was different this time. It wasn’t like the zaps, same place but an intense pain.”

“Is all of this legal? Can they do this?” Koruna asked aloud.

“They have our guardians’ permission, there is a clause that expressed how they are allowed to do anything to ensure acceptable behavior.” R’ao answered.

“Are you two talking now? I sensed some tension before.” Rika smiled but the sweats on her lips showed that she was not yet over the attack.

Koruna sighed and looked at R’ao, she planned on not having anything to do with him until they left this place but this was nothing like what she expected.

Everything here was run with hierarchy, it’s like Nige but in a sample size. Even those in different colors had people they deferred to, she looked around and focused on R’ao.

“This is not yet over but for the sake of my sanity, I’ll postpone this until we are out of here.” She said to R’ao who had put up his hands in surrender. Even if he was lost on how to handle Koruna, he knew when not to push it.