Glam or Scam

Chapter 20
Glam or Scam

Betsy smiled at her reaction and passed the bottle of alcohol to her.

“Was this why you had to drink?”  Koruna collected the bottle and drank straight out of it.

“That and many other issues at hand, I don’t even know what I would do if my suspicions are right.”

“Why do you think they had something to do with his death?” Koruna vaguely remembered R’ao telling her about certain crimes being committed and their family being framed for it, she hoped that this was one of those cases.

Betsy looked at the ceiling and chuckled, “When the accident happened, I had Shola hire professionals to take a good look at the incident. The police had closed the case too quickly and everything was so perfect, too perfect that I had to take a second look without attracting people. The only thing they could get from his damaged*(I’d suggest a synonym like badly damaged  black-box was a grainy video of Oni getting out of his car. Shortly after, his car was destroyed by an incoming truck with a drunk driver from Flames who had no family and had also died in the incident. Before Charles died, he and the Arks had communicated secretly for months, he was paranoid and too careful. It made me wonder but I just thought that he would handle it and come back to his sense after a while. When he died, some masked people had broken into his safe to retrieve some kind of hard drive. I had nothing to go on as at towards the end of his life, we were not close, he shut me out, he shut everyone out even his wife."

Koruna sighed and dropped the empty bottle on the ground. Betsy slept afterwards, she could hear her deep breaths as she thought about the information she just received. How she went from being an outsider to being privy to conspiracy theories and murder cases, she hoped with all of her heart that the family had nothing to do with his death. She thought about the possibility and imagined what her relationship with them would be like, was it even her business? She thought to herself.

She had been abandoned for most of her life only to discover that in one way or the other, they had been looking after her. She did not want to think about the possibility of them being responsible for the death of her father. It would make things a lot complicated or simpler than they should be, but if they were not responsible for his death, it meant that there was someone else in the game. Someone who had decided to clean every evidence regarding the accident and leave only an image of a member of the Ark family.

If this was true, it meant that the Arks had a very dangerous and powerful enemy, which was dangerous for her. It also meant that if they were responsible for his death, the Ark family were very dangerous people to her and the people she may or may not care about. It also stood to reason that if the Arks were innocent, there was someone or people in the shadows who meant no good to both families and could have framed them to turn the family against each other. Whichever way it was, it was dangerous for her and she wondered if it was worth it to risk her life at the expense of the truth.

“Whyyyyyyyy?!” She groaned and massaged her forehead.

Betsy shifted awake and looked around becoming aware of her environment. She saw Koruna and sat properly like she was not dozing off a second ago. Her memories came rushing back and she felt embarrassed for being that way in front of her grand-daughter, she was confused as to why she was so comfortable around her.

“Sorry, I woke you.” Koruna mumbled.

“It is alright, have you decided what you are going to do?”

“We just have to find out the truth, the curiosity would kill me if I just let it pass over me.” She folded her legs to warm herself.

“How do you plan on getting this information? Don’t tell me you are going to ask them outright if they killed your father?” She stared at her suspiciously.