Daddy's girl

Chapter 75
Daddy’s Girl

Koruna hadn’t said a word since they got to the mainland. Ráo was always close, she did what was required of her on autopilot. The rest of the crew hadn’t found out yet what had happened to Flora, Flank felt guilty; he was the one that pushed for them to rescue Koruna, he and Flora were chosen to go because they were the most experienced when it came to field and defending themselves.

The others supported from the mainland, with Ati and Jacob’s collaboration, the island was found and a highly equipped team was dispersed. They were hoping to catch Simi there but she wasn’t on site, they had more than enough evidence to put Simi away but Jacob wasn’t naïve. Simi had many people under her thumb and based on the reports he was getting from the people they had rescued, it was a lot worse than he had anticipated.

There was no chance that Simi was working alone, she had powerful partners but the problem was that they were hidden. There was one person that made sense from the Flames, Jonathan Reeves, he had done his best to avoid him but it seemed like time for confrontation was near. They had all separated when they got to his hangar, Flora was carried carefully by a four man team as they touched ground. Lola, and Telilah ran out when they saw the body being carried. It was hard to watch even for him, Jacob sighed deeply and left them alone.

“Who did this?!!” Lola screamed with rage.

Flank’s eyes were red and swollen, his voice was hoarse when he answered, “Abriel.”

Lola and Telilah looked at him like he had lost his mind,
“Is this another one of your jokes?”

Flank looked at Koruna, they noticed Koruna for the first time. Her grey jumpsuit was stained with blood, she looked back at them soulessly, “Abriel is alive but changed, Simi faked their deaths to build soldiers of her own. Abriel is one of them, she remembers things in a weird way. Abriel believes we betrayed her and now we are her sworn enemies.”

Lola frowned, it was all too much at once, she wouldn’t have believed it if it came from anyone else but Koruna wouldn’t joke about this. Her heart ached, she looked at Flora’s body again and a deep croak came from her as her knees weakened.

“Where is she?” Telilah asked venomously.

“Escaped.” Koruna answered.

“You allowed her escape, after this!!! How could you? Flora went there for you, she would die for you… wait, she did. This… this should never have happened!”Telilah tapped at Koruna’s chest.

“How could you let her escape?” Telilah’s voice broke as she saw the bandage on Koruna’s hand, “Did she do this too?” She looked at Koruna’s face and screamed in pain. “I will kill her, I will find her and kill her.” Telilah’s body started shaking, Koruna took her into her arms and patted her head as she cried.

Koruna’s eyes were clear but blank, Telilah sobbed into Koruna’s chest… “Why? Who did this to us? Why? She should not have died. Not her, good Lord! Not Flora.”

Ráo and Oni watched from Afar, it killed Ráo to know that there was nothing he could do for her, Oni patted his back… “She’ll be fine.”

“Anything from Moses Makun?” Ráo asked.

“Nothing useful, I suspect that he hid it in his house. He was a paranoid man, it makes sense that if he had any information about the Council, he would keep it in his house. It has been said that Precious is going crazy, we could use that as a way to get into the house.” Oni suggested.

“First things first.” Ráo pointed at Koruna.

“I don’t think she will be up for it.”

Koruna told Lola and Telilah to follow Flora’s body to the morgue while she goes home to change, Flank hadn’t looked at her since Flora’s death. She could not think about him now, she had things to do. Ráo offered to drop her home but she insisted on driving Flora’s truck back, she made an excuse that she wanted to be alone. Koruna promised to call when she was home, Ráo had no choice but to let her be but he followed silently behind her. Koruna didn’t go home, she drove towards Moses Makun’s house. She parked somewhere far from the house and tiptoed her way inside, since Makun’s death the security has been somewhat relaxed. She sneaked into the house and to Precious room where she found her sleeping.