Fairness in all play

Chapter 19
Fairness in all play

They are in the school head’s office with him staring down at Mr. James who looked confused. Oni stood beside Koruna in front of the school head’s desk.

“Do you know what you did wrong?” He removed his round rimmed glasses.

Koruna was tempted to tell him that it looked like hers, and four eyed people needed to stand together but she had second thoughts as he didn’t look like someone who would appreciate good humor.

Mr. James shifted and looked at the two of them.

“Maybe we should have this conversation privately.” He did not want to be berated in front of students.

“No, you are as irresponsible as they are. I know this is an Art class but there are boundaries that should not be crossed.” He played a video from his phone and showed to them.
It was a clip of their performance, they stared at the school head like they still didn't understand what the confusion was.

“I don’t see the problem here, Mr. Thomas” Mr. James said to him calmly.

Mr. Thomas sniffled at them. “What was the assignment?”

“Their interpretation of history, our history in various artistic forms.” Mr. James answered.

“What does their delivery of the assignment tell you?” He continued.

“Their ability to think beyond the box and wander into paths of the unknown.”

“And that doesn’t tell you it is a dangerous line?! Mr. James, I have always loved your unorthodox ways of teaching, but this is something that shouldn’t be trifled with.” He sighed and stared at each of them and maintained eye contact for some seconds to drive home his point.

“I still don’t understand what you are talking about Mr. Thomas.”  Mr. James understood what he was driving at but he needed him to be plain about it so he could defend himself.

“Do I have to spell it out?” He glared at him.

Koruna and Oni watched them silently.

“I am afraid you have to, sir.”

“Questioning Nige’s history, sacrifices and foundation, this is not a topic that should be trifled with. If the council hears about it… Do you know what would happen to the school, its teachers, and every single person in connection with school?” Mr. Thomas started to sweat a little.

“I don’t think the foundation of Nige is so fragile that a school assignment done by two students would spell out a number of consequences. This is just for grades and if you believe it is that sensitive, then they would not present it at the end of the school.” Mr. James argued.

“The council doesn’t care about students and intentions. Any one, event or opinion that tries to question their position the slightest would be sniffled out. If I have access to their performance, do you think they don’t have their spies everywhere quenching any sign of rebellion or alternate thinking and thought pattern that doesn’t support their views? Cancel their assignment and give them failure with regards to their grades for this assignment and let this never happen again.” Mr. Thomas finalized and wore his glasses.

Koruna tried to talk but her hand was held by Oni who told her to wait until Mr. James was done.

“That is not a fair conclusion sir. I gave the assignment and I decide the parameters of the success or failure. This was a harmless presentation and if the council think that they are threats simply because they offer an alternate version based on their interpretation, then the council is nothing more than a bunch of bullies.” Mr. James stubbornly stood his ground.