Making plans 2

Chapter 43
Making Plans 2

“Why not?” Annie exclaimed.

“Hmmmm, good question. One which I don’t have a good answer to but at least do you have a backup plan?” Betsy pressed.

“Why do I need a back-up plan? I will succeed.” Annie said determinedly.

Betsy decided to allow that slide and focus on Bernie who looked like he had come up with an answer, “What about you?”

“Work in the company but as a doctor. I am not interested in the admin and directing parts of it. The company should have an NGO that works on site to provide medical aid to people in need especially in the Flames, I would like to be one of the doctors and maybe one day become the director.” He responded making the rest of them stare at him in shock.

“You are one of the least sympathetic people I know. Doctor? Help people? This is because of Koruna’s friend, right?” Annie scoffed.

“That and other things.”

“Such as?” Margaret asked.

“When I went to the Flames, it was easy to see my privilege and understand Koruna to some extent. No one should live like that, it’s also ironic that these people have to be the poorest I have seen but that joy they have. I can’t put it into words, the children were playing and you could see that there was no resistance at that moment but the more you looked, the less you understand. The Flames is barely an hour from here yet the vast difference is overwhelming, if I had not gone there that day, I might have lived my life in bliss without the knowledge that everything I have is something I do not deserve yet own. They might be happy but what is the point if people there die of something as flimsy as a cut to the knee. I know we have contributed to charities over time but it’s not the same.” Bernie was surprised at himself, he knew something was changed in him when he saw the places Koruna had grown up in. It gave him perspective and drive.

“That… That was a very welcome surprise. I didn’t think any of you could surprise me, maybe we should all go on a family trip to the Flames and see what the fuss is about.” Betsy suggested.

“No…That is a terrible idea. I haven’t gone but I have met some of Koruna’s friends. Boy oh Boy!!! They have a pride in themselves that I do not understand and if we just go with the purpose of sight-seeing, we might actually get stoned." Margaret widened her eyes at the thought.

“Not if we go with Koruna.” Annie said with a proud smile.

“Until then, it’s a good plan Bernie and I am happy that you are keeping the company in mind. Margaret?” Betsy asked.

“Being your heir.” She answered simply.

“You haven’t shown any interest in learning the ropes of the business and you want to take over, how do you want to achieve that?” Betsy narrowed.

“It is not too late, I was distracted by our parent’s death that I forgot for a second that there were other things to live for. I lashed out in ways that I wasn’t proud of but I am ready to change. Kelvin and I can be interns in the company until you trust us, I am confident that I can do what you do and maybe even better.” Margaret said cheekily.

“Better? So confident now. I have to say, I did not expect this much change over the course of three months and I was prepared to maybe send one of you to Simi’s boot camp, I have heard it is perfect for a petulant child. I am surprised that most of you have matured and come to a sense of purpose, maybe I was the one who was blind to see the brilliance in each of you, well most of you.” Betsy narrowed her eyes on Annie who shrugged.

“What about you?” Margaret asked.

“What about me?” Betsy paused.

“What are your plans for the future?” Margaret asked.