The Escape 2

Chapter 74
The Escape 2

Warning *Violence*

Koruna looked at R’ao smirk, she did not have the time to dwell on it when he held her hand and they ran in opposite direction from where the enforcers were forcing the jumpsuits towards. Three of the enforcers followed l, one of them kept pressing one of their buttons and frowned when no response came from them. Koruna smiled gleefully at him and winked, the enforcers ran harder after them. Koruna was pushed into a corner by R’ao, when the enforcers came into view, R’ao made a gesture to keep quiet to her as he stealthily crept up on them.

The gun shots had grown louder, Koruna was eager to find where Shola would be, R’ao had attacked two enforcers and was fighting when Koruna leaned back to appreciate R’ao’s fighting skills. “Boy, he wears that jumpsuit like no other.” She whistled appreciatively at his swift reflexes.

“I’ll be with you shortly.” Koruna screamed at him, R’ao wanted to stop her from going anywhere alone but before he could say a word, she had ran off on her own. He groaned and slammed the enforcer into the wall. They were both unconscious, R’ao followed in Koruna's direction but was confronted by more enforcers along the way.

Koruna tried using her senses to recall where they had tortured people. It was a different room from where the students were kept even hers, most of the enforcers had gone to defend the Bootcamp, the further she went the lesser noise she heard. Koruna had started recognizing some of the places, she walked slowly and peeped through each room to see various people in it with most of them unconscious or in pain.

Koruna tried to open the door from outside but to no avail, she remembered that she needed a key card, she looked back and wondered if she had to go back to get one. The doors were iron, there was no way she could break into them as she made the decision to turn back when she heard a feminine chuckle.

Koruna recognized that voice and sighed as she waited for Abriel to show herself. Abriel swaggered out, they were at opposite sides of the narrow passage. Abriel dangled her card at her with a knowing grin, “Still the same as day.” Abriel taunted.

“Wish I could say the same about you.” Koruna replied.

“Nice trick with the spear.”

“What?” Koruna frowned wondering what she was talking about.

Abriel sighed and shook her head, “The chip that was supposed to be in your neck.”

“Oh, yeah … Thank you. I aim to please.”

“It’s just us again, me and you.” Abriel said solemnly.

“The pioneers, what will it be Abriel? You have a chance to stop right now, Simi isn’t around.”

Abriel released a bitter, sarcastic laugh, “Still have some of that innocence I see.”

Koruna gave her another look and sighed. Whatever Simi must have done to her, Koruna doubted if she would ever find her way again. Abriel was filled with a certain vibe Koruna could only describe as poisonous yet Koruna did not think she would ever find it in her to kill her. Maim her, maybe, Koruna thought about what she had witnessed since she was in the camp and tried again to reach Abriel, the Abriel whose eyes once glowed with hope, passion and a little bit of compassion.

Koruna walked slowly towards her, “I … I am sorry for what happened to you Abriel. I don’t know what I can say or do that will reach that part of you that is you but couldn’t you try? Try to remember us, not just what you think is betrayal. We had some good times together, Grandma Buke practically has a shrine in your name. Even if I don’t mean anything to you, remember Flora, Flank, Telih and Telilah, your love hate relationship with Lola, your crew… Nothing? You feel nothing? Seriously?” Koruna paused.