Fighting Back

Chapter 84
Fighting Back

Lola held Flank in her arms, he was gasping for breath when he removed his jacket and sighed in relief as he saw that the knife had penetrated the cash he had taken with him when they ran from their cave. Koruna chuckled in relief, “Hey, what do you know? What you love saved you.”

Lola slapped his arm excitedly, “Never stop loving money!”

Flank grunted, “Hey, it still hurt.”

“You are alive, be grateful!!! I don’t understand. I thought you two came to some deal.” Telih said to Koruna.

“It’s Jonathan, he doesn’t do deals, he enjoys playing with me. This might be why he kept me alive, to punish me.” She shook her head.

“He used Mathew… Mathew is a good guy. Was I mean… A  happy one, he must have threatened his family.” Flank used his hand to close Mathew’s eyes.

Bernie, Annie, Mariam and Margaret rushed inside the room, “We heard a gun shot.” Margaret said as she looked around to see if anyone was hurt.

Koruna was reminded that they were here, she had almost forgotten about them. “Saved by the emergency fund.” Flank waved the bills in the air.

“You’re here.” Bernie said to Koruna.

“You’re a bright one.” Koruna answered.

“I don’t get it, why didn’t he just use the gun instead of the knife.” Lola asked out loud.

“Can I see it?” Koruna asked Flank who handed the knife over to her.

“Double Entendre, the knife is the gift. It’s the first weapon I have ever used, a gift from him. I had left it behind when I left. He is a petty man. The knife and your death was supposed to a painful warning and reminder of who I used to be and  what he is capable of.” Koruna explained as she examined the Knife. Annie screamed when she saw Mathew’s dead body, Bernie led the others out of the room.

Ati had ordered the men on duty to be punished severely as the body was taken away and the place cleaned. Koruna stayed in the room as it was being cleaned with Oni. He sat beside her and was quiet for a while, “How are you doing these days?”

“He speaks again.” Koruna humored him.

Oni frowned like he did not understand what she meant then it clicked for him. “I didn’t think you would be in the mood to fraternize.” He said blankly.

“Since when were you so considerate?”

“I am not, just with you.” He stared right at her.

Koruna didn’t flinch or remove her gaze, she met his and smiled. “I feel special. You do care.”

“I am capable of much more.”

“I don’t doubt it.”

“What do you think of this?”

“What?”

“I can help you escape all of this if you want.”

Koruna chuckled, “Why would I do that and miss all the fun?”

“You could die.”

“I can also die if I trip and land on my head. Death is only temporary anyway.” Koruna snickered.

“There is nothing I can say that will change your mind, is there?” Oni gave a very tiny smile that if Koruna wasn’t watching, she’d miss it. “The castle wasn’t the only place Simi sent the box to, she sent to our house as well.”

“Why didn’t any of you say anything?” Koruna sighed.

“I am saying something now. Am I not?”

“Isn’t that because she also sent to the castle? I am not even mad at you.”

“R’ao, is that who you are mad at?”

Koruna looked at him perplexed, “Why do you want me to be mad at you?”

“Isn’t it obvious? Because then I know that you care.”
Koruna sighed again and looked ahead, “Are you going through something? A psychotic break even.”

He chuckled at that, Koruna’s eyes widened at the pleasant sound. “Ironic, don’t you think?”

“What is her play?” She changed the topic.

“I don’t care. I am not interested in playing.”

“I thought you liked games.”

He smirked, “I do only when I make the rules . The best way to beat Simi at her game is not play her game which is why we didn’t tell you.”

“It is not Shola’s fingers. That man cherishes his manicure and pedicure, I doubt that he would risk his fingers to play her game.”

“You believe Abriel then.”

“It is more than that, I sort of got a confirmation. You can’t tell my family, I am only telling you and Lola this because I need a way to get to him before he gets to us. If you think about it deeply, he has more.to gain if the family falls apart. I just didn’t think he was the type.”

“You are very sure. I cannot argue with that then, how did you get your confirmation?”

“Jonathan. He more or less confirmed it with his reaction, there is a strong chance that he killed their parents too.”

“You mean your father, your family… Is it that difficult to say it?”

Koruna let out a deep breath, “I can’t think of them as that. It seems so foreign and I feel like a fraud for even thinking it much less saying it. Why do you suppose he killed them.”

“The best way to destroy anything is from inside, you said it yourself. He has the most to gain if the Ballans fall apart. His identity is tied to the Ballan empire, it might also be why he brought you out of the Flames.”

“God!”

“That is a lot of whispering between you both.” Lola sat beside Koruna.

“You are wanted, what are you going to do about that?” Oni ignored Lola.

“Clear my name I suppose but how?”

“Surrender.” Oni said without missing a beat.

“Jacob has men on the inside, who would ensure you are safe. They are not the only ones who can manipulate evidence. The Ballans can’t fight for the company if they are hiding here.” Oni said straightforwardly.

Margaret walked slowly towards Koruna, “Shola is in trouble. What do you think she wants us to do?”

An idea danced in Koruna’s head, “Turn me in.”

“What? Margaret blinked.

“The company is in danger which means everything that Betsy has worked for is at risk, the name and what it commands can count for something again if you turn me in. Make a public spectacle of it while declaring my innocence. You and Kelvin know better about the company than the rest of us and so that means you have to shoulder the responsibility that comes with it. When Shola comes, don’t burden him with all that stuff, you have to be able to run there without him.”

Margaret was confused at the whole thing, there was no way to prove her innocence and why should she risk all of that and for what? A legacy that she barely understands.

“Stop thinking… Lola will be with you to help in whatever way she cans. When Simi gets in touch with you, tell her you did what she wanted and I am now in custody and that she should release Shola and his daughter. She won’t of course, she’ll probably ask you to do something else, something insane and then you will refuse. No matter how simple the request is, don’t do it.”

“I don’t understand. You have to explain this to me.”

“I suspect that when you turn me in, it will be to her custody and if she discovers that you are easy then she won’t need me anymore. It’s all about tests for her, for me to survive I need to make her believe I am a good alternative to handling the Ballan empire. I need you to be very good at it, convince the world that without Betsy, the company can still run good and well.”

“Koruna… No, this is risky.”

“Yes but I am done. Once I can see her, I assure you… I do not intend to let her survive our next encounter.”

“What do we do?” Bernie asked. “No, I am not sitting still.”

“You can help us over here, it’s the same war but different battles, isn’t it?” ATI offered.

“There’s nothing I can really do.” Bernie replied in a low voice.

Ati grinned, “I am sure you have something to offer.”

Koruna sighed, "He is right, Jonathan is as responsible for the death of your parents as he is for the state of the Flames. It's all connected."

“I’ll stay with them as well.” Annie said shyly as she looked at Ati.

“I can’t stay here, not that I have anything against the place. I am sure it has its charms but I think I will be of more value at my home ground.” Mariam coughed uncomfortably.

Arrangements were made and the team was divided. Mariam ensured that majority of her people were tuned in Margaret turned Koruna in officially to the police while she made a speech that enforced the Ballan’s believe in freedom and justice. Margaret made a good speech about Elites, Betsy’s legacy and more even Koruna was impressed with how smooth she was with her words. Koruna whispered to Mariam just before she was taken away about Muel’s brother. She had not been sure on how to break the news but since she had no choice, she had to let her know he was safe with the Arks.

Koruna had a black bag over her face with her legs and hands cuffed as she was transported. Koruna couldn’t see anything but she knew that the Van had been moving for a long time. She was dragged and shoved into a place that sounded hollow. Koruna thought it might be an empty warehouse because of the echoes. A familiar click of the heels was heard as Koruna’s cuff was removed and was attached to an iron chair instead. She heard men shuffling about as the place got quieter.

“Alone at last.” The voice said as she removed the bag from Koruna’s head.

“You have no idea how I have prayed for this, Simi. I wanted it so much that I could taste the desire. Thank you for making it all too easy for me.” Koruna said with a ghostly smile.