Aftermath

Chapter 26
Aftermath

They ignored the moans coming from the couple having coitus on the screen and saw that Charles had driven shortly away before his car was hit by a truck .

Betsy tensed at the collusion but stayed focused on the scene, the truck had reversed and hit the car again. Oni had not gone far when he saw what was happening, he tried to move towards them but the truck had hit them for the third time and the car exploded. The force of the explosion had flown him away from the camera’s scope of coverage.

The couple had been shocked by the explosion and stopped having sex which was where the clip cut off. “This is… erm… would you excuse me?” Betsy left the office.

Koruna wondered why she wasn’t angry or emotional by the clip but she assumed that since she hadn’t known him, maybe that was why she wasn’t empathic about the entire situation. She knew Betsy in some way blamed herself for his death, she knew what it was like to lose someone dear and feel guilty for not being able to rescue them. The clip showed what they had suspected, his death was by no accident, the fact that the truck driver risked his life to kill them made the entire thing baffling.

“I searched for months for anything that would help with our investigations but you were able to discover more than my entire research under a week. That is impressive.” Shola commended her, he tried to sound cheerful but Koruna could see the grief in his eyes.

“I have different networks, people tend to ignore cleaners, servants and servers in general but they always know more than ordinary people regarding a situation, all you have to do is know where to look. I cannot completely take the glory for this, knowing the right people can take you to places unknown. Will you be alright?”

“I had hoped that he had not suffered before he died, he must have been so terrified at his last moments. He deserved better than that kind of death. Have you seen many deaths, Koruna?” He sat as if in a daze.

“More than I’d like, at a point; I became numb to the concept of death until recently when I understood what life could be without the hustle to survive. Sometimes I envied Elites, they could sleep without wondering where their next meal would come from, I enjoyed stealing because it gave me a sense of satisfaction whenever I took something from them. The funny thing is that most of the time they don’t even notice and when they do, they don’t dwell on it. They just replace what was lost which is so different from the way we lived. Every breath was a blessing, in a way it made us alive.”

“I think this the most you have ever talked to me without making a joke, or is it?" Shola chuckled.

“I know!! I might die at this rate.” They shared a look and grinned. “She will be fine, what do they say? What doesn’t kill you will make you stronger or break you. In her case, I know she will be fine.”

There was a sound of glass breaking from where Betsy went, they rushed inside to see Betsy on the floor unconscious. Shola called for help and she was rushed to the hospital, with the help of the medical personnel, she gained consciousness but had to be admitted into the hospital. He had asked to speak with her legal guardian Margaret *(Betsy has a legal guardian?)* who had been unreachable. The rest of the children rushed to the hospital but were not allowed to visit her at once.

“Have you ever seen grandmother visit the hospital?” Kelvin asked out loud.

“Not ever, it always felt like she would live forever, today just proved that she wouldn't; she could die at any moment.” Bernie hugged Annie in comfort.

Koruna felt like an outsider at this moment, they were with each other for longer, she couldn’t say she had any bond with any of them. She could barely stand them much less offer comfort so she just sat there quietly.