School Again

Chapter 47

School Again

Mr. James had divided the class into groups for their next assignment, he had combined all the classes together regardless of their grade and age. He wanted each of his students to have a broader understanding of life. He prided himself on being a teacher who passed on lessons about life since Art was the reflection of life itself. He wanted them to break boundaries, to think outside the box, he wanted them to be able to think for themselves and not whatever society thought them to think, this was the reason why he organized such assignments. Sometimes, through these activities, he had discovered people with exceptional thinking abilities.

There was one of his students he had been trying to get through these days, it was Oni. He looked like he couldn’t care less when he was in class but he had learnt that he took in everything even if his head was always buried in his note pad. James’ hand itched with curiosity when he thought about the note pad, he wanted to know what Oni was busy doing with it. He had tried to guess numerous times and he was ashamed of it but he had tried sneaking up on him to catch a glimpse of his book but he was caught every single time.

Oni had been absent from school along with Koruna and R’ao, he knew that Koruna was hurt but he wondered what they had to do with it. He wasn’t one to listen to gossip but from what he had heard they were acting as bodyguards for the young lady. He had not gotten to know Koruna well since she was relatively a new student but she piqued his attention because of her ability to rouse Oni’s attention. He prided himself in being open minded and rational and that was why he avoided R’ao. He knew as a teacher, he was supposed to treat every student equally but that boy looked like the Devil, one who would carve out his soul with a single glare and so he did his best to stay out of the young man’s way.

Oni was absent again in school, he sighed in disappointment but decided to carry on with his exercise activity. He divided the students into a group of three. “That is enough noise, I know that some of you here think partnering with various people is either above your station or below your level but for this assignment, there is no superior family or lower family, every tribe, color, grade, and interests will be considered equal. Here are the lists of questions I need you to ask yourself and then come to a reasonable conclusion backed up with facts as to why you think your stand is correct. The main topic of the debate would be Liberalism and classism, which do you consider best with regards to the rule of law? Remember, you are all equal for this assignment and no you are not allowed to change members, I assigned you all for a reason. Margaret, please see me after the class.” He said and left the hall.

Margaret followed him behind until he got to his office. He handed over a file filled with assignments, “Give those to Koruna, and inform R'ao and Oni that for this assignment; the three of them can form a group. Usually I would have preferred a more diverse group but they’ll do, they can make a video and send as a file to my email. You can also get assignments from other teachers, we are all aware of what happened to her and please do send her my regards.”

Margaret collected the papers and paused, “Mr. James, could I ask a question?”

“Sure.”

“Jason, you have known Jason since he was a little boy. Did you ever think he was a person that was capable of evil? I know he was mischievous but real evil.”

“Why? Did something happen?” He frowned.

“No, no, I was just curious. What was your impression of him?” Margaret asked.

“He seemed like every normal kid here, privileged, spoilt but I wouldn’t call him someone capable of great evil then again the human capabilities can go beyond and below expectations. People are not really what they seem and so it is hard to judge what is what. The only thing we can trust is ourselves and even then, it is possible to make choices that will surprise us. At the end, there is no right answer.”