Faceless

Chapter 52
Faceless

“Precious doesn’t have what it takes to become a problem. Like we agreed, Gichaan will be yours when you find a way to get rid of Jonathan. Makun was one of his sponsors and so his death should create an instability where you gain an advantage. Since we don’t know who the council is at the moment, we should follow trails, money trails, Makun can’t be the only one aware of their existence. Leave him here for Jonathan, let’s watch how he handles it.” R’ao said indifferently.

“Is this a temporary agreement with the Arks?” Ati referred to their joint work.

“Think of it as a probation, you don’t trust us either.” R’ao answered.

They went their separate ways, Oni and R’ao got into the same car, and Oni wondered what R’ao was thinking teaming up with Ati. He had thought R’ao would not even want to be in the same space as him.

“Why him?” Oni asked.

“Why not? He is fiercely loyal to his subordinates and there is something to gain with the partnership. If Ati becomes an asset, we could reduce the number of spies we have in the Flames.” R’ao answered.

Oni stared at him blankly, “Do you have plans to kill him?”

“No.” R’ao looked back at Oni amused.

“He wants Koruna.”

“Koruna wants me.”

“Is it as simple as that? I know you.” Oni smirked.

“What do you know?” R’ao smiled.

“You are up to something.”

R’ao chuckled, “Don’t be overly suspicious, I do have it in me to be reasonable. Business is business and personal relationships are relationships.”

“Not for you, what do you plan to do?”

“Why do you care?”

“I don’t.”

“Why are you asking then?”

“Call me Curious.” Oni scoffed.

“I thought your name was Oni.” R’ao sighed.

“You need to stop hanging out with Koruna, it is beginning to mess with your personality.” He grunted.

“It bothers you, doesn’t it? Me being unpredictable.”

“You are always unpredictable.”

“I’ll take that as a compliment.” R’ao humored him.

“It isn’t.”

“It is up to me to decide.”

“How did you get Jacob to go along with your plan?”

“Jacob does whatever will put him at an advantage. He didn’t attack Makun before because he was being careful but now we have it on record that the takeover was legit. It also helps that Makun had made enemies over the years. I can’t decide if you are questioning my methods or you are just curious.”

“When have I ever had any doubt in you? I was surprised at how bloodless it was, you allowed his men live. Are you not afraid of what might happen?”

R’ao chuckled, “Makun doesn’t have loyal men. He was too paranoid for that to happen, you know this too. Something is off with you.”

“I don’t know.”

“Do you need a break?”

“I don’t.”

“Have you decided?”