Cutting Corners

Chapter 99

Cutting Corners

They hid as they watched the hot exchange between most parties. Many of the prisoners were still in their cell with loud screams and grunts, some of them appealing to the gunmen to release them. The one that helped them in the cage had found a way out of the prison, Koruna saw him going and told Ark to use the same route. Ati dragged Oni with him and Koruna covered for them, in the midst of the chaos, Koruna lost sight of Ráo. Koruna felt this was intentional, knowing him, he probably went after James. She could not afford to think about him as she was fighting for more than just their lives. They discovered that they were in an underground garage that led to a back gate, Ati hijacked a car and put Oni inside.

“Take him to the nearest hospital, I have to go back.” Koruna stated.

Ati shook his head, “Look at you, you are not in any state to fight. If you go back for him, you will be of no help.”

One could not see the original color of Koruna’s prison uniform, it was stained with blood, dust and other things Ati could not identify. She needed the hospital as much as the rest of them. Koruna knew the state she was, her ribs protested any time she made a move and she could not feel her face at the moment but she could not leave Ráo all by himself. “Hey, I will be fine. I am not only staying for him, I am sure that the guards will be at the gate, I need to help you get rid of them while you make it out.”

Ati could see no fault in what she said, “Then what? You go back? He would feel much better if you were safe.”

“Same with me, I cannot lose any more people. I would lose my mind and besides he is not alone, if James is right, then Jacob the man himself is here. Oni is losing so much blood from his head, it is deeply concerning, we do not have the time to stay here and haggle.”

“Fine! Come back alive!”

Koruna nodded and skipped  ahead of them as she peeped at the back gates, she saw that the guards were not moving and the gates were slightly open, she assumed it was the escaped prisoner that did that, then also remembered that the Arks had to have entered from somewhere, she had naturally assume the front gates but. She turned and looked at Ati, her reasons were not viable anymore as the routes were clear. “It’s clear, you can drive through.”

“Come with me Runa.” Ati had to try again even if he knew he would not be able to convince her.

Koruna gave him a smile and ran the other way as she bore the pains in her body. Ati could not wait any longer as he drove through the gates and into the main roads. He was driving when he saw the prisoner running, he stopped to let him in, and the unknown prisoner contemplated his options before entering. After all, he had saved their lives.

Koruna had gotten back to the heat of the fight as her eyes searched desperately for Ráo. Some of the prisoners had made their way out of their cell, most of the ones who had left their cells were either gunned down or found their way out. Arks men were trained and completely ready for the battle, they were armed and protected, their skills showed in the manner they handled themselves. For the wardens and the other prisoners, there was an animalistic method to the way in which they attacked. Without fear for their lives. There were lots of bodies on the ground, Koruna made her way through them as she searched harder for Ráo.

One of the prisoners had caught her shadow lurking, he grinned in excitement at Koruna who was unaware that someone had her targeted. Her hair was dragged and she was pinned to the ground by a man who had no teeth, his hands held hers in place as he sniffed her hair. Koruna struggled just before he bit her neck, she frowned at the gross feeling. The man looked back at her crazily, Koruna paused at how crazy he was, when he bent down to bite her again, she whispered in his ears, “My turn” just before she bit his neck fiercely. The man groaned out in pain and Koruna would have sworn that he moaned as well. She bit harder until released her and then released as well in real time. Koruna shuffled out and saw what he had done to his pants, she spat the blood in her mouth and looked at the man moaning. Koruna’s stomach turned with irritation and threw up everything that was in her stomach.