A stitch in time

Chapter 56
A stitch in time

Without missing a beat, Koruna shot at his foot and hid behind him as the men rained bullets on her, a bullet scraped through her arm. She was sure then that she would die when there was a noise in the bathroom that distracted the men. The one that seemed like the leader made a gesture for them to hold fire as he slowly opened the door to the bathroom. Koruna’s heart was in her mouth until the man who had gone inside fell backwards with a heel on his forehead and a wicked grin on Betsy as her cane fired on another masked man.

The three men raised their guns but Koruna had already used the distraction to pick up the dead man’s gun as she fired at them without stop, aiming for their head. She continued until the bullets went out and fell as her knees gave out. Betsy limped out and helped Koruna to the destroyed bed.

“Not bad, old woman.” Koruna grinned at her, Betsy smirked and took two more guns from the ground and gave one to Koruna as they pointed it at the door.

“Do you think we would die today?” Koruna asked her, she heard Betsy’s hard breathing and wanted to distract her. She could feel her hands shaking and her weakening, Oni and R’ao had a habit of missing when her life was in danger, almost as if they knew when to attack which meant that they either had a spy in their midst or they were just really unlucky.

Betsy started coughing profusely, “I wouldn’t mind going now but you have your whole life ahead of you.”

“Just rest, maybe it’ll stop.” Koruna advised.

“Refusing to talk about death won’t stop it from happening.” Betsy chuckled, despite the fact that she was weak, Koruna admired her steady hands on the gun.

“I brought it up, didn’t I?”

“Good point, now we are just talking nonsense.” Betsy gave a troubling sigh.

“Stop talking and just lie on the bed.” Koruna stood and walked in between the bodies on the ground to get warm water for Betsy.

Betsy swallowed and felt a little bit better after drinking, she was dizzy but she was afraid that if she closed her eyes, she might not wake up.

“I care about you Koruna.”

Koruna groaned, “Please no, no last words. I can’t take it at the moment so no words just …” She sighed, her mind was empty.

They heard footsteps at the door and raised their guns, Shola stumbled in panic at the bodies on the ground. He heaved a sigh of relief when he saw them on the bed. When he had given them space to talk, he did not think this would happen. He was already on the ground floor when he heard the shots and had ran back, he had never been so scared in his life as he moved through bodies to get to the room.

“You are alive.” He gasped.

“Sorry to disappoint.” Betsy said as the gun left her hands and she fainted.

Shola rushed to her and checked her vitals, he made some calls on his phone. Koruna was in a daze, then remembered that she had a phone so she could reach R’ao. Koruna tried reaching either of the Arks but none of the calls went through, that’s when she knew that something had gone very wrong.

R’ao was literally dodging bullets at one of his business meetings turned a battle front. This was one of his father’s trusted business associate and had not suspected foul play, and as usual both groups had to surrender their weapons to allow for a smooth meeting process. This was supposed to be the usual exchange when their men started shooting at him and his men.

It was a good thing that he had his men everywhere which changed the outcome of the shootout. R’ao shot at the last man standing and had walked towards the business associate. Usually, the smart thing was to ensure he was alive so he could understand who wanted him dead but he had lost a lot of good men in one day so he just shot the crawling man until he was dead.