Making new friends

Chapter 72
Making new friends

Flora and the crew made their way to Ati’s side of the Flames. It was different from the usual old buildings, the buildings looked better, the children wore actual clothes, there was a small school around where people volunteered to teach. They watched everything, amazed by how orderly and less angry everyone was. They expected to undergo serious challenges in getting to Ati but all they did was ask for him and someone offered to lead them there.

It was too easy, way too easy; Lola thought. They moved carefully to a big gate that was left open, no one stopped them until they got inside and there they saw Ati by the side reading a book while others played pool. His attention was drawn to them where he gave a knowing smile and tapped his hand. Everyone left the area except them and Ati. He offered them a place to seat which they accepted.

They sat in silence for some time before Ati broke the silence, “To what do I owe the pleasure.”

Flora sat up right, “We need your help.”

“With?” His deep voice rang.

“Koruna might be in trouble, she’s the …” Flora continued.

“I know who she is, why is she in trouble?”

Flora explained the situation to him, if there was anything she had learnt over the years, it was knowing the time to lay out their cards and when to withdraw them. Ati came across as the type of guy who would not appreciate being lied to, she was supposed to stay in the truck but the person who brought them here insisted that all of them move as one towards Ati. It messed up their initial plan to escape if everything went south.

Ati looked at each of them as he listened to Flora, “Do you know what it means by coming to me?”

“Yes.” Flank answered.

“Are you ready to choose a side?” Ati asked again.

“We knew what was at stake when we came here.” Telilah answered.

Ati scratched his scar, he already knew that Koruna was somewhere unreachable. Ati knew when to count his losses, the more he interacted with R’ao, the more he came to the knowledge that R’ao would never give up Koruna. It would have been a different case if Koruna felt the same for him, there was no need for him to hold on. He decided to give them space and the time to get over his feelings.

Ati looked at the people in front of him, he knew all about their deal with Jonathan, he honored their decision to stay neutral. It was a fairytale agreement because a war was coming, if they hadn’t come to him now; he would have gone to them at some point. For Koruna, he didn’t want to be on opposing ends with them which is what Jonathan would have them do, Jonathan never released anyone. What they had was an illusion of freedom, he had to get them on his good side, fear never lasted but mutual respect and goodwill towards the right people did. It was one thing his predecessor never understood about people.

Buhar was obsessed with money, he did not care who he had to trample to get it, he wanted money and power. He only respected those above him, trampling on others beneath him, Ati was certain not to make that mistake but it did not mean he was a pushover. The rules were simple with him but the consequences for breaking them were enforced with as much brutality as possible. There was a fine line and he made sure to cross them when he had to.

“What do you want from me?” Ati asked.

“Information about the island, we know nothing about that place and we do not even have what it will take to get there. We are here to ask if you could help us, others are too afraid to talk because of Jonathan which means he has something to do with it. Flank had a theory that Jonathan may also have something to do with the missing people as well.” Flora said.