Ghosts from the past

Chapter 22
Ghosts from the past

Ati’s corners of his lips lifted “Good, you remember my name.”

Koruna could feel the vibrations from his voice run through her stomach. The last time she saw him was when he had fallen into her trap and killed Buhar, she didn’t think she would meet him again and especially not here.

She got a hold of herself and her eyes cleared “You make a scar look good.” She took another look at his face, he had cleaned up and wore a fitted suit that couldn’t hide his neck and hand tattoos completely. Usually, when people are scarred facially, they have insecurities but he wore his with confidence and had a certain power that his veins reflected.

“Is that a way of saying that I am handsome?”

“You are alright.” She chuckled. “And you can waltz? How?”

“I am a quick study.” He danced slowly with her on the floor, he was no longer trying to shield her tears.

Koruna relaxed in his arms. “Why are you here?”

“Business.”

“Business? Okay handsome and mysterious.”

He laughed and he spun her eliciting a loud surprised laugh from her.
“Don’t forget, smooth too.”

“I thought you would be unhappy to see me, hate me even… Not that I am complaining but this is just an unexpected reaction to our reunion.”

He held her closer “Oh, I should be grateful instead. Your provocation that spun different actions has led me into a position I did not expect and I would always be an admirer of strong women. Even if they can be manipulative, stubborn and sometimes heartless.”

“Please, do not make me blush.” She acted coy mockingly.

“Which made me wonder about what could make such a woman cry, especially in a place like this.”

“Oh… if I answer you, would you tell me what you are doing here?”

“Are you curious about me?” His eyes lightened up in a way that Koruna noticed.

“Can you blame me?”

He whispered “You look ravishing and sexy in that dress.”

She whispered back “I know… That is why I wore it.”

Their interaction caught the eye of R’ao whose hand tightened on the glass in his hand and eventually broke. His hand was bleeding which he ignored as well as the attention on him, the familiarity he shared with her made him suspect that he was from the Flames but why was he dancing with her? He had so many questions and was going to get answers when the tightened hold on his arm reminded him of Precious.

The servers had cleaned the broken pieces and given Precious a first aid kit. They had moved to a private room, Precious cleaned and bandaged his injured hand but not without pressing hard. He looked at her and saw that her eyes were teary.

“I would never be able to make you jealous, would I?” She sighed and released his hand. “Even without me in the picture, the both of you would never work. I know the plans you have for my father and what my father has in store for you but I do not care. What can I do to make you love me? I would give everything I have but it wouldn’t be enough, would it?” She sniffled and broke into tears.

“Why do you love me? You don’t even know me.” R’ao asked gently.

“And she does? I know you R’ao, I see you even when you think no one is watching, you love strong flavors, from your favorite drinks to your food, you don’t like bland things. Your eyes narrow when you are mad, when you are happy, they light up and change your entire demeanor. You hate sunny days as much as you hate rainy days, you cannot stand …”