As One

Chapter 49
As One

“What do you mean? Are we trouble makers?” Flora said while Koruna made her way to the bed and let out a long sigh.

“Everyone please calm down and why do you all look like you stepped on shit?” Koruna asked a depressed Muel, it was strange for her since he was always with a smile, and Emerald had not said a word also which was weird because she would not miss a chance to annoy anyone.

“Please sit, we were about to go into the Flames to search for you.” Margaret said when they had all settled.

“This should be good.” Koruna muttered.

“Look, we know we have not always seen eye to eye but I think that working together might bring a better and faster result.” Bernie continued.

“What is happening?” Lola asked suspiciously.

“My mother sent my elder brother to Ms. Simi’s boot camp.” There was a collective silence in the room after Muel explained.

“Same one that Jason went?” Koruna asked to be sure.

“Same.” Muel answered.

“This is just an assumption, for all we know that place might not be what we suspect. I only said that because according to you two, it marked a change in Jason, it doesn’t mean the same would apply to your brother.” Koruna said.

Annie paced around the room, “We don’t want to take that chance, if there is something happening there; we should not allow Emmanuel stay there for too long. I don’t think we want another Jason loose and if we find out that nothing serious happens there, we can all relax and scratch that out from out to-do list.”

“Oh, can I ask why your mother sent him there? I thought it was for badly behaved elites.” Telilah asked.

“Emmanuel is the kindest, most upright person in the world!” Annie answered defensively.

“Calm your tits Annie, we don’t know him and that is why she’s asking. He must mean a lot to you, should I be jealous?” Koruna narrowed her eyes at her.

“She is right, Emmanuel was one of the best amongst us but he fell in love with a servant. He was determined to stay with her no matter what threats my parents threw at him. Sending him to the boot camp was a desperate attempt by my parents to straighten him out.” Muel said to them.

“She’s from the Flames, isn’t she?” Lola asked.

“Of course, what kind of elite gets a job as a servant?” Telilah answered.

“They exist but yes, she is from the Flames.” Muel replied without his usual swag and humour, his imagination had begun to run wild as he thought about the many things that could be happening to Emmanuel at that very moment.

“Look, we know that this case might not interest you but we grew up together, if there is any chance that something sinister happened or is happening there, we owe it to Emmanuel to at least try.” Mariam added.

“Since when do you care about other people other than yourself?” Telilah jabbed.

“I care about people, I just don’t give a damn about you.” Mariam retorted.

“Good point.” Telilah conceded after Flank pinched her as a warning not to start anything.

“What do you want from us?” Flora asked.

“Well, we thought you’d have an idea about what to do and how we can find out what happens in the boot camp.” Margaret responded carefully.

“Why?” Flank frowned.