Thoughts and Groans

Chapter 79
Thoughts and groans

Koruna glared at Abriel when she said that, she sighed in response to the disbelief surrounding her. This was why she was hesitant to talk in the first place, Shola had covered all his bases, she had no moral ground or credibility and of it came to her word or his, it was obvious who people would believe.

“Unbelievable, I know!!! I won’t even waste time trying to make you see the light, let’s just stick to the plan and I will let you guys know.” Abriel released herself and tried to walk out.

“Do you have any evidence?” R’ao asked.

“No, if I did… I wouldn’t have bothered saying anything in the first place. You don’t have to believe me but you should not blindly trust him either. Shola has worked for the Ballans for more than half his life, you all know him to a certain extent. Did you think that he had no idea what Charles was up to all these years? The coincidences, Betsy’s death… Common, you must have been suspicious that you had a spy.” Abriel was avidly aware of Koruna’s silence, she only watched her instead.

Abriel chuckled humorlessly, Oni untied her and told her to leave.  Lola looked at
Koruna and sighed softly, “What is going through your head?”

“Nothing, I am maxed out. I am … I am not thinking of anything. “ Koruna answered.

“What do we do?” Flank asked out loud.

“Nothing, we do nothing. Abriel could be another trap, her accusing Shola could be the truth or a way to instill doubts amongst us. Shola isn’t here which is convenient for both of them.” R’ao answered.

“So we wait…” Oni agreed.

“Playing this by the ear, Shola… He deserves benefit of the doubt and Abriel doesn’t, if we have to be rational it makes sense to trust that Shola was kidnapped by Simi and this is all some sort of games.” Koruna pondered aloud.

“But?” Telih asked.

“No buts.”

“You said rationally, which means you have a different judgement call instinctually.” Telih looked at her warily.

“I don’t know, my instincts can’t be trusted but if it’s anything to go by… Shola was the one who told Betsy about me, Shola knew Betsy was sick, if by any chance there was any one who had the power to do anything about the Ballans, it would be Shola. Shola got me into the bootcamp, Shola wasn’t there when we were attacked, it is all too much of a coincidence to say that Shola planned all of this from the start. Unless he is some criminal mastermind who somehow knew who I was, the kind of person I was… Betsy trusted him, he watched over me…”
Koruna’svoice grew smaller as she thought out loud.
“Simi said she had been watching me for a long time, the only one I know who has kept an eye on me was Shola.”

“What are you saying?” Lola asked.

“I don’t know what I am saying. Let’s focus on the things we can control which would be these evidence we have against Simi, we need to turn the public against her. Mariam and Margaret already have the ball rolling with public sentiments.”

“It will not be enough to bring her down but just enough to make her uncomfortable. Simi has friends in high places, if we leave it to the law, the worse case scenario is that she leaves the country and we cannot allow that happen. I need all of you to know what we are getting into, it means that to win, people are going to die.” R’ao stated it so simply.

The rest of them knew along the way especially with the death of Flora that there was no going back, not for them.
“Will you let Abriel survive?” Lola asked gently.