The beginning of the end

Chapter 100

The beginning of the end

*Three months later*

The board had finally accepted Margaret and Kelvin as part of them after they had repeatedly proven themselves. It also helped that they had connections with the Arks, Jacob had gained prominence in Nige, politicians and businessmen alike wanted to him on their side and on the outside, it looked like he had everything under control. Emmanuel, Muel’s brother had left his family’s home and had become a part of the Arks Empire, he became the face of the business. Things cannot be described as being back to normal but it was relatively peaceful. Oni had spent over two months in the hospital recovering, a month of that had him in a coma. Jacob planned to send him oversees to be his point in closing the Council’s business shortly. Ati had taken ownership of almost all of Jonathan’s territory, some of his men had rebelled and resisting his control but the prisoner he had given a ride had assisted him, as it turned out he was Jonathan’s first right hand man before he was sent to the Black Zone for turning against him.

Koruna had used part of her inheritance to build a school in Flora’s name in Flames where children are housed and taught legally, today was the opening ceremony. Grandma Buke wept as she stepped into the school, it was the first official school allowed in Flames thanks to R’ao’s influence. Grandma Buke didn’t think she would live to see the day where children from the Flames would have more than one option for their future, she blessed the school. That evening, the crew gathered round Flora’s grave, they had finally buried her. Koruna watched in silence as the evening settled in, “Do you think she is in a better place?”

“It’s Flora, of course she is. Either that or she is dead dead.” Flank said with a sad smile.

Bernie hadn’t said a word since she was buried, he emptied the bottle of drink into her grave. He had come to accept that she was gone forever, Annie held his hand as he looked lost standing over her grave. Telih and Lola shared the same bottle, they had a burial for her early in the morning, and everyone else had dispersed leaving just them.

“I still can’t believe that you were in the Black zone.” Lola muttered.

“You survived too.” Telih added.

“To be fair, it was only one night and my survival was thanks to the Arks.” Koruna chuckled at them, they had asked all manner of questions regarding the Black Zone.

Margaret and Mariam could not understand how they could be so alright with them at Flora’s grave. “Are you not sad?” Mariam asked.

“I am but your beauty blows my mind.” Flank winked.

“I have to say that could not even be your worst line yet. Will you never give up?” Lola frowned at him.

“Like you? You have moved from Oni to Ati and now the new guy… is there no loyal bone in your body?” Flank countered.

Lola smirked, “Of course, I do. I am loyal to myself, needs and wants. Why would I stick to one meal when I can have the whole damn course?”

Koruna laughed at that, R’ao glared at her. He had given her the silent treatment since the prison incident, Koruna had tried everything to get him to forgive her. Well, not everything… she had a plan tonight. It wasn’t like she planned to get kidnapped, things had turned out that way but she admitted that she could have been careful. R’ao was mostly close but he gave her the cold shoulder, Oni had been more quiet than usual ever since he woke up.

“I am leaving tomorrow to the Coast, business.” Oni swallowed a large gulp of canned beer.

“You have barely recovered, take some more time off.” R’ao said.

“I have to go.” Oni squashed the empty can and left.

Koruna followed him closely until they were alone, “Wait, is it because of me?”

Oni turned and gawked at her, he took in her every feature and groaned, “You know.”

“I do. Does R’ao know?”

“He does.” Oni held her face in his palm.

“That explains a lot.” Koruna muttered and held his hand instead.

“There was a moment I forgot everything, and when my memories came back. I wondered if it wouldn’t be better if I forgot you but then knowing you came with it’s pain as well as it’s joy.”

“You talk well for someone who barely talks.”

“I try.”

“Don’t stop drawing, you are an amazing artist.”

“Drawing a line between us. Not something I would expect.”

Koruna laughed and gave him a hug, “You are lucky that I am your first love, you could have done so much worse.”

That elicited a laugh from Oni and he returned her hug. “I am lucky.”

“Take good care of yourself.” Koruna told him and watched him leave, she gasped as she turned and bumped into R’ao.

“I think you should worry more about yourself.” R’ao’s deep voice did that thing to her stomach that she loved.

Koruna held his waist and peered into his eyes, “Please stop being mad at me. I love you.”

R’ao froze in surprise, it dawned on Koruna what she had said unknowingly. She wasn’t taking it back and so she repeated it again, “I love you R’ao Ark.”

R’ao couldn’t move, he was completely mush in her hands. Koruna stood on her toes as she kissed his cheek, then stepped back and joined the others around Flora’s grave leaving R’ao in a state of bliss. R’ao grinned as he repeated Koruna’s words in his head.

“I don’t understand, why do you have to move?” Margaret asked Bernie.

“I am not moving but traveling, I’ll be back before Christmas.”

“I am coming with you.” Annie said.

“You …”

“I am not listening to excuses, I want to see the world as well.”

Bernie resigned his fate, he was a little bit relieved that he would have company. “Has anyone heard or seen Shola’s daughter?”

“No, nothing yet.” Koruna answered.

“Do you think she knew what her father was up to?”

“I doubt it.” Koruna replied, “I think Shola hid her when he saw how dangerous it was becoming.”

“What are you going to do now?” Margaret gagged when she saw the googly eyes Mariam threw Flank. In her opinion, they were bad for each other, one of them was too selfish and the other one was too sly. There was no way it would work.

“Ensure that the foundation is stable before engaging in other things. I have not really understood the concept of being wealthy, it’s all too foreign to me. I am thinking of building a house here in Flames, as an attachment to the Cave.”

“You’re moving as well?” Kelvin said for the first time.

“I’ll be there when you need me but we can all agree, I stand out like a sore thumb in the Elites. Here, I think I can make a difference, I have to convince Elite teachers that they would do much good if they come out here to teach, it’s an entire process but I am sure that I can handle it. Lola and Telih will handle that part actually.” Koruna explained.

“What?!” They react.

“You know how I get when I am with people, I tend to annoy instead. I need you two beautiful, calm and eloquent people to show them that there is more to the Flames than crime and poverty.”

“Is there though?” Flank smirked.

Koruna shrugged in response. “It’s been a while that it has been this peaceful, why does it unsettle me?”

“You like chaos, admit it.” R’ao whispered.

“Uggghhhh… No.” Koruna narrowed her eyes.

“Yes, you do and that’s why you looove me.” R’ao rolled into her ears.

“Get a room you two!” Flank rolled his eyes.

“Will you all be there for dinner tonight?” Koruna laughed.

They answer on the affirmative, the memories of Flora all at the back of their minds. Koruna wondered what she would do if she were here, probably go with Bernie as they traveled or be with him as they stayed in. Koruna knew that she would never forget Flora, even though they acknowledged that Abriel had stayed true to herself in the end, it was hard for them to forgive her. Koruna and Lola were the only ones who had visited her grave since what was left of her body was returned. They agreed not to tell Grandma Buke about how she had really died and what had happened to her. Koruna thought it was better to preserve the precious memory of who she used to be since at the end, she found herself.

Ati was invited as well as the others to the Arks celebratory dinner, Jacob thought that it was imperative that they recognized their progress as well as cement their connection. The change in R’ao was more than what he had expected and completely different from what he thought his future would be like, he had ensured Oni stayed by his side because he was the only one who seemed to be able to reach him and while everyone else might think he was sending Oni to the coast because of business, in truth he was sending him away to give him a break from R’ao and Koruna. He might be obsessed with his legacy but he wasn’t so blind that he didn’t see the way Oni looked at Koruna, he wasn’t going to risk a reason for internal strive especially not one between his two favorite people. Not that he would ever tell them, it was better that they thought of him as someone without feelings.

Margaret and Kelvin were the first to arrive since they came from the office, the more Margaret got familiar with the workings of the Ballan business, the more respect she had for Betsy. It was no wonder she barely had time for herself not to talk about the children, she was glad that Kelvin shared in the burdens of the business, she had it all planned out. Bernie and Annie were not going to live as freely as they thought but she imagined that they needed a break and so after the break, she would broach the subject again. They were led into the dining hall, Flank and Mariam arrived shortly after with wine, Margaret made a gagging sound at their appearance, she was absolutely not a fan of them together. Flank stuck out his tongue at her in retort, Kelvin chuckled at their exchange as they settled on the table. Ati came alone and was led to the table as well, his white shirt was folded allowing part of his tattoo to show, he nodded at the rest of them as a form of greeting. Koruna came in alone as well clad in a small red dress, Ati swallowed hard at the sight of her and told himself to get a grip. She smiled at everyone and sat beside Ati, Telih and Lola followed shortly, Bernie and Annie came in as well, and the Arks men joined the table. Jacob had insisted that R’ao sat beside him which meant that he sat opposite Koruna while Oni sat at his other side facing Lola who winked at him.

Lola seemed taken this time with Jacob, there was an air around him that was appealing and at the same time dangerous. Koruna caught her gaze and whispered at her, “Woman! Control yourself!!!”

“You cannot tell me what to do, you are not my mother!” Lola whispered back.

Koruna laughed amused by her, it was good to see Lola distracted. She knew that her short lived crushes with various men so far was a way to fill in the loneliness at Telilah and Flora’s disappearance. Telih was beginning to get used to her absence but it was still felt in several ways. There was not a lot to do as they exchanged pleasantries and started on the first meal. Jacob did a good job, each person had a meal that was suited to their palates, and they were touched by the thoughtfulness which also confused R’ao and Oni. Jacob Ark wasn’t a man who would personally plan a dinner much less a detailed description of their meals.

“You can relax, I can be a father too you know.” Jacob chuckled at their puzzlement.

“I am surprised you know what that means.” R’ao jabbed.

“Someone developed a sense of humor.” Jacob replied with a smirk.

“Okay, enough!... Thank you for this meal.” Koruna said to Jacob.

Jacob smiled in response and raised his glass to toast. “This is to us, I cannot say that I personally know each of you but I do know that I am grateful to each of you. This is not the end but a new beginning, beginning of new exploits, breakthroughs and paving new grounds.”

They raised their glasses to the toast, Koruna added at the end of the first round, “To Flora as well, to hope, to survival and also to family.” She exchanged glances with Margaret who threw her a kiss.

The dinner continued with a feeling of peace, even though that it might not last but for the moment they were together and they were happy. No one could tell what would happen tomorrow, there will always be people like the Council, but at the same time there will be people like them who want to stand against the status quo. One cannot say that they are good but at the same time, it is clear that they are far from evil, everyone is capable of good and evil and sometimes shades of grey. Koruna looked around and sighed satisfactorily, if anyone had told her that a lonely girl like her from Flames would end up like this, she would have laughed to their faces. The view brought tears to her eyes as she imagined Flora sitting at the end of the table, R’ao saw her and grinned in comfort, she winked at him, she would not give this up for anything and God have mercy on anyone who would even try to mess it up.

The End