Baring it all

Chapter 17
Baring it all

“Engagement party? Whose did you say?” Koruna cracked her knuckles.

“Mine and R’ao’s’ Precious grinned at her.

“What R’ao?”

“This R’ao!” She basked in the joy at the shock on Koruna’s face.

She had suspected they had something based on how R’ao was doing his best to ignore her. R’ao thought he was good at covering his emotions but she had been in love with him for half of her life. She knew everything about his habits, emotions and especially how he treated people.

He ignored her presence but he was trying too hard which made her suspicious. She decided to play this card to understand what they had. She was hurt and also satisfied by the look on Koruna’s face.

“Why are you so surprised?” Precious asked while holding R’ao hand.

“You can come to the party if you want but I doubt it is your scene.” R’ao looked at Koruna for the first time since they met.

Koruna laughed drily… “This is a kick to the nuts, well I don’t have nuts but I imagine it would hurt as much.”

“Excuse me?” Precious blinked like she was confused.

“Oh please… spare me the pretence.” Koruna rolled her eyes and relaxed into the sofa.

“Seriously, where is Oni?”

Koruna avoided looking at them, she felt crushed and for a moment, she could not understand anything. She closed off her feelings and decided to work them through when she was alone.

“Are we not pleasant company?” Precious smirked.

“Don’t push it Precious!!! It is time for you to leave.” R’ao stood up and dragged her along with him.

“Noooo… I am having so much fun with her. I don’t want to go.” She dropped her bag to collaborate her statement.

R’ao expression changed, the air thickened as he glared at Precious. He bent and whispered to her, she became afraid and cleared her throat.

“Well Koruna, it was nice meeting you, we should do this again.” Precious picked her bag without waiting for a response from Koruna and could not get away fast enough left the room. R’ao lingered on the door and looked at Koruna…

“It is not what it seems.” R’ao left afterwards.

“Says every man ever.” Koruna muttered to herself.

Oni came back shortly with food and drinks for both of them. He dropped them on the table before picking up his drawing pad. Koruna followed his lead and brought out her writing pad. She refused to meet Oni’s eyes and kept her face below her book as they discussed the assignment.

“Is it the food?” Oni asked after hearing her sigh for the fifth time in ten minutes.

“No… I love it.” She answered lifelessly.

“Then what is it?” Oni lowered her book from her face.

“You usually never miss a chance to joke, and it has been fifteen minutes and there has not been a single bad joke. Are you having a stroke?” He asked.

“Is that your attempt at a joke?” She chuckled.

“You are smiling, aren’t you?” He crossed his legs and clasped his hands.

“Was it the visit to the flames, do you have some kind of guilt?”

“Why would I feel guilty? Am I supposed to?”