The right partner

London 1944

Steve hasn't been allowed on any missions yet. He's become more of a mascot.. exactly like Phillips said. Doing ridiculous songs, in ridiculous outfits. While you've been out in the field. Fighting a battle you never wanted in on.

"Hello, Steve" you say quietly as you find him sitting behind the stage sketching in his book.

"Hi" he answers surprised to see you home from the battlefield.

"Hi" you repeat as you sit down next to him.

"What are you doing here," he says a tat surprised but equally happy to see you.

"Officially I'm not here at all," you say. "That was quite a performance you did out there Steve" you chuckle

"Yeah.. guess it was," he says embarrassed.

"Hey you're America's new hope.. that's something" you smirk. " but this isn't you Steve" you say sadly.

"It's better than the lab" he mumbles.

You look at his drawing.. "so that's it then either a lab rat or a dancing monkey?" You ask. But he doesn't answer you. "You are so much more than this you know" Steve looks at you, as you slowly tilt your head. "What is it?" You ask

"For as long as I can remember I dreamed of going overseas and being on the front lines..serving my country.. now I've got it but I'm wearing this stupid suit" he explains sadly.

You grab his hand.. Suddenly a car stops behind you carrying out the wounded men from the battlefield.

"These men here are the remains of department 107th.. Two hundred men went up against him.. only fifty returned" you explain.

Steve's eyes sadden. "The 107th?" He questions.

"What is it?"

He hurries off to the tent with the wounded soldiers. You follow right behind him.

"Colonel Phillips," Steve says

"What do you want now Rogers?" He asks coldly

"I need the casualty list from Azzano sir" Steve requests.

"You don't give me orders son" Phillips scoffs.

"We need them now colonel" you demand.

Phillips looks up at you irritated before handing you the list, you hand it to Steve who quickly scans through it... he's looking for a name.

"Steve?" You ask worriedly.

"It's not on there..." he says sadly.

"That doesn't mean anything.. he could be alive" you say with a hint of hope.

"Or he's just not been found." Steve sighs as he walks away again.

You once again run after him. He's already changing his clothes. "Do you plan to just walk in there!" You say frustratedly.

"If that's what it takes.. yes I am" he says firmly.

Before he can walk away again you stop him. " wait.. I might have an idea" you say already regretting it.

"You said I was meant for more than this.. did you mean it?" He asks.

"Every word" you smile. "Just let me help okay?"

You and Steve sneak off with the help of Howard you manage to get ahold of one of the planes. While Howard is flying you let him in on everything he had to know about the hydra base.