Taking the stand

You take a deep breath, feeling how the water fills you lungs, then you swim fighting to get to the surface. Watching as burning pieces of the hellicarrier crashes into the water. You drag your own body to the shore. Coughing up the water, trying to inhale the air. As you finally get on land for the first time in minutes your body falls down to the ground. You lay there in silence, as you turn your head you see Steve, washed up on the shore just a few feet from you. With the last energy left in your body you crawl to him.

You call out his name, shaking in his arms.. but there's no response. His face is badly beaten up, he's almost unrecognizable.

"Steve?" You whimper quietly.

You put your fingers on his neck searching for a pulse. You exhale in relief as you feel the subtle beat against you fingers. You panic as you start giving him chest compressions and mouth to mouth. Desperately trying to get him breathing.

Your vision blurs out as you focus all you have trying to get him to breathe.

When he suddenly starts coughing up the water. You turn him over on his side, allowing the water to run out. Then you lift him up holding him tightly. Both of you are soaking wet.

"Oh my god" you cry out. "I thought you were dead"

Steve continues to cough violently, as you hold onto him for dear life. Not ever wanting to let him go again.

"I- I couldn't leave my best girl" he whispers.

"No you couldn't" you smile. "Just stay away from planes above water alright?" You chuckle in relief.

"Alright" he says quietly. Drifting back to sleep

You manage to get in contact with Maria, getting Steve flown to the nearest hospital, to get the renaming fluid out of his lungs. You stay by his side through it all, not daring to leave him again. The television stream live from the Committee meeting regarding the leak, Natasha was on the stand, they were grilling her.

"Y/n they need you in New York for some further questions regarding the incident" Maria walks in, turning off the television.

"You mean grill me too?" You sigh.

"I know it's hard, but you need to step up"

"I'm not leaving him" you scoff

"I'll watch him" Sam smiles, walking up behind her.

"I'll be right back Steve don't worry" you whisper

You grab Steve's hand, kissing him gently on his forehead.

"Okay.. call me when he wakes up okay" you say. As you get up from the chair.

"Of course" Sam smiles.

You follow Maria out to the car as she drives you back to New York. You sit in the passenger seat, just looking out the window watching the road pass you by. You couldn't think of one single word to say to them.

"Just be honest okay" she smiles.

"Okay" you say, as you walk into the building, reporters all over you. Yelling at you to give a statement.

"We now call our next witness to the stand Y/n Jones" the Judge announces.

You get up from your seat walking up the table, where the committee is sitting

"Welcome Agent Jones" the judge says, as you stand tall, a Bailiff walks up to you with the Bible, as you put your hand on it. "Do you solemnly swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?"

"I do" you say firmly.

"Have a seat miss Jones" the judge says.

You nod your head taking a seat by the table.