How to save a life

You look yourself up and down in the reflection of the window, before going into the SHIELD headquarters. The last time you were here, you were being chased through the building. This couldn't go wrong, you have one shot..

You pull down the annoyingly short skirt, waiting patiently in the foyer. And there he was, welcoming you with open arms. With that happy smirk on his face.

"Miss Hawley" Pierce says greeting you. "I'm so glad you could make it" he smiles, shaking your hand.

"It was no trouble at all" you say softly.

"Follow me" he gestures, walking beside you making small talk, like he isn't about to set off a weapon of mass destruction.

Shortly after you're joined by three other council members, Chao Yen, Jakuna Singh and the worst of them all Douglas Rockwell. One of them more up their own ass than the other.

"And how was your flight?" He asks.

"Oh it was just lovely.. the ride from the airport.. less so" you chuckle.

"Sadly SHIELD can't control everything in the world" he excuses.

You try to hold in your laugh, apparently he thinks he can control everything.

"Including Captain America, and his team of criminals" Rockwell scoffs.

An armed man walks up to you, handing Pierce a case. With four small controls inside it. He hands each of you one.

"What is this?" You question.

"Our facility is biometrically controlled, and these will give you unrestricted access." He explains.

You smile subtlety as you pin it to your jacket. Everything was going right after the plan. You had free access to everything in the building.

"May I use the restroom before we go upstairs?" You ask.

"Of course, it's right down to you left"

You smile politely, as you quickly walk to the bathroom. Putting in your earpiece.

"Alright I'm in, go" you whisper.

"Copy that" Steve answers.

You take another look in your mirror, making sure you've got everything in place. Then returning outside.

"Is everyone ready?" Pierce asks.

You all nod your head following him up to his office. Where you all take a seat around the big screen located in the middle of the room. You can see the countdown closing in on you. 02:09:01

"We're in"

"I know the road hasn't exactly been smooth, and some of you would have gladly kicked me out do the car along the way" Pierce starts his well practiced speech, as he hands out glasses of champagne to each of you. "But finally we're here, and the world should be grateful" he says raising his glass. Toasting to his victory. A world free of peace.

Suddenly an announcement is called over the speakers through the entire facility. It's Steve.

"Attention all SHIELD agents, this is Steve Rogers. You've heard a lot about me and my friends over the last days. Some of you were even ordered to hunt us down"

Pierce freezes as his voice echoes through the room. You love having to act shocked if this is the reaction you'll get. His face turns almost white.

"But I think it's time you all know the truth.. SHIELD is not what we thought it was. It's been taken over by HYDRA."

Pierce walks around the room, his face turned from surprised to downright furious. And you get the first row seat to sit back and enjoy the show.