On the run

Natasha and Steve follows behind you. You can't face them. You shouldn't have met him at home.. you should have chosen somewhere else. It was so stupid of you to think that apartment would be safe enough. You knew what was at risk.. and you took it.

"Y/n stop" Natasha calls out.

You turn around, barely able to look her in the eyes.

"Don't blame yourself" she says.

"Then who should I blame?" You ask furiously.

"Jones, they want you back at SHIELD for a meeting" Rumlow calls out after you.

Steve gently pushes him away. "Give her a second" he scowls.

"They want her now"

You turn around looking at him, nodding your head understandingly. "Okay, I'll be right with you"

"Perhaps you shouldn't go alone" Steve proposes.

"It's fine.. i can do this" you assure him. As you follow after Rumlow. Leaving Natasha and Steve alone at the hospital.

"STRIKE team escort Agent Jones back to SHIELD immediately for questioning" you hear over Romlow's speaker.

Before you exit the hospital, you see a man working on a vending machine. There was no way you could bring that USB drive back to SHIELD, you had no clue who to trust. You quickly place it behind two packs of gum. Before being escorted into a car.

No one says a word the whole drive back to the facility. Your hands are shaking, the adrenaline still rushing through your body.

You get escorted up to the twelfth floor, as you greet a man you've not yet met.

"Agent Jones.. it's an honor to finally meet you" he smiles. "Alexander pierce" He introduces reaching out his hand.

You shake it politely. "You too sir" you smile kindly.

"Come on in" he says, gesturing for you to go first.

You take a seat across from him, trying to hide the fact that you're almost dying of anxiety. As he looks through your files.

"Your mother helped found SHIELD.. is that correct?" He asks.

"Yea sir" you answer as simply as you can.

"What was her name again?"

"Y/n Jones"

"That's right.. you were named after her is that correct?"

You hate this.. the feeling that any minute now you could say something that would blow everything you've worked so hard to establish.

"That is correct yes..she died when I was very young"

"Jones, why was Nick in your apartment last night?"

The question sends shivers down your spine. You couldn't just come up with an excuse. You had to think this through. Nick put his trust in you, now was the time to prove to him that you could live up to it.

"He was in the need of a friend. As you may be aware of Nick recruited me years back. He had faith in me as an agent.. and as a friend" you answer as calmly as you can.

"Like mother like daughter" he chuckles unsettling.

"I guess you could say that sir"

"Did you know your apartment was bugged?"

"Yes. I did, Nick told me when I got home" you explain.

"Did he tell you he was the one who bugged it?"