A helping hand

You spend countless of nights dreaming of him. And although you wish you could just forget him, let him go completely. Lokis lips still lingers on yours. His hands still ache on your body. Yet you're here, and he's heaven knows where. Until the memory of him seems to fade.. you want to remember him, all the good parts at least, but lately all you can think of is the pain.

There's a subtle knock on the door, snapping you out of your thoughts. You grab a shirt, opening up the door.

"Were you sleeping?" A tired voice speaks through the darkness in the hallway.

"Not exactly" you chuckle, as you open the door fully.

"Can you come help me in the lab?" Tony asks softly.

"Yeah sure.. I'd love that" you smile, as you grab your sweatpants from the floor. Quickly putting them on. Following Tony downstairs.

The lab is a mess, pieces of metal scattered everywhere, broken glass.. and the blood. You didn't even notice Tony's cut up hand before.

"What happened down here?" You ask nervously, carefully trying to avoid the shards of glass.

"I've been trying to find a way to get the bullet fragments out of my chest.. finding another way to power the suit" Tony sighs as he sits down.

"I take it it's not going well" you say softly.

Tony shakes his head. Looking down at the ground.

"You could go to a real doctor you know" you laugh hesitantly. "I mean that's kinda their specialty"

"What if I can't use my suits then?"

"Would that seriously be so terrible?"

Tony doesn't say anything. But that's answer enough for you...

"Look Tony.. your worth isn't whether or not you have your suits.." you assure him.

"Can you just help me find a solution?" Tony scoffs irritated.. "please"

"Why not ask someone else?" You sigh, furrowing your brow.

"I don't have anyone else" he admits, as he looks into your eyes..

"Of course you do.. Banner? Steve?"

"Oh yeah right.." he growls... he closes his eyes, taking a deep breath.. "if I take the surgery, just please help me.." he pleads. "You're the most intelligent person I know.."

You can't help but smile, at his words.

"Okay what do you have" you chuckle.

Tony takes up a box full of notebooks. Ones that all belonged to the one and only Howard Stark. You run through them all thoroughly. When it finally hits you.

"I know" you say happily.

"You do?" He questions putting away the notebooks.

"Okay so the reason the arc-reactor is keeping you alive, it's a fusion reactor-"

"Why are you telling me this?"

"Shut up and listen" you hiss. "The reason its keeping you alive is because of the highly energized particles moving in a circular path due to the magnetic field acting upon them.. and therefore generating energy through collisions, right?"

"Right?"

"So if we could get a really big magnet, more powerful than the arc reactor. When operating on you, they would just come right out" you add

"And perhaps go right through something very important inside of me" he scoffs.

"It wouldn't be turned on, before all the shrapnels where places safely." You hiss back. "And since the arc-reactor is basically just a power source, you could just use that of a way to power your suits" you say proudly. "Boom problem fixed..have the surgery"