SEVENTY-THREE

TWO WEEKS HAD passed since Bill and Fleur's wedding, and it had been just as long since anyone had heard from Harry, Hermione, or Ron.

Mrs. Weasley had been worried sick since that day. Each morning she would check the young adult's rooms, hoping one day she would wake up and they would be there, asleep soundly in their beds.

Freya was equally worried, but far better at hiding it. She decided to stay in the company of the Weasley family until her return to Hogwarts that September. Oddly enough, she fit right in.

Between helping Molly keep up the house and being a happy test subject for Fred and George, no one really minded her presence.

Remus and Tonks, along with Amity and Sirius, would stop by every so often, but the four adults were clearly occupied with business from the Order.

"Oi," Fred Weasley stuck his head into the living room where Freya was sitting with her feet propped up, "Letter came for you."

The red head tossed the envelope over to the blonde who quickly tore it open, mangling the outer edges . Her heart hoped it would be news from Harry, but the handwriting told her immediately otherwise.

Freya,

I hope all is going well over at the Weasley house. We miss you terribly, but that isn't why I'm writing. I've heard of the things going on in London, and you might be able to fool your father and brother, but you're not fooling me. I know it's bad Freya.

Don't make me be the one to explain to them what's going on. Be safe.

All my love,
Catherine

Freya folded the letter gently after reading it. She knew the witch was right. Things were only getting worse in the wizarding world, and her family didn't even know a fraction of it. After the incident last Christmas she had become even more secretive with Greyson and Finnick to avoid them worrying. She left guilty about it of course, but she knew if they knew the truth they'd never let her out of their sight.

"I'm guessing by the frown it's not news from the trio?" Ginny had appeared in the doorframe, leaning up against it.

"Unfortunately no," She shook her head, "Just a note from my family."

The younger girl just nodded, she didn't feel the need to prod for further information. Ginny kicked off her muddy shoes, she had been outside practicing for the upcoming quidditch season, which was starting to look more and more unlikely.

"What do you think Hogwarts is gonna be like?"

"Probably awful," Freya admitted, there was no sense in making the situation out to be any better than reality.

"I can't believe Mum is making me go," Ginny came over and plopped on a seat near the blonde, "There's a war and she's concerned with me getting homework."

Freya laughed through her nose. It did seem silly, heading off to school pretending like all was right in the world.

"I'm glad you'll be there," Ginny continued genuinely, "Sorry for being such a bitch when we first met."

Freya allowed herself to truly laugh this time. It felt like ages ago that the two young women had spent their first summer in the same home.

"I'll cut you some slack," Freya answered, "I wasn't exactly an angel myself."

The two witches just sighed as they sat there. It was as close to normal as they could've possibly gotten in a world that was further from normal by the second.

"You think you and Harry will get back together after all this is over?" Ginny asked casually, cutting through the silence again as she twirled her ginger hair in between two fingers.

This question took Freya a moment. Sure, she had thought about the possibility of everyone surviving the war and maybe being happy after, but she hadn't really gotten to the logistics yet.

"I hope so."

»»-------------¤-------------««

"All right everyone," Molly Weasley's voice pierced through the air, "Do we have everything?"

"Mum," Ginny groaned as she gave a slight eye roll, "It's literally just Freya and I."

Molly gave her daughter a look that immediately made Ginny press her lips together.

"You two might be the only ones left but I'll be damned if I don't give you both a proper send off." She continued her speech as the platform filled with people.

The energy of Kings Cross was very different than Freya had ever experienced before. There was a sadness that hung in the air, and the crowds were far smaller than she'd ever seen.

"They say most of the muggleborns aren't coming back," Ginny whispered as Mrs. Weasley continued her tirade about safety and awareness.

The thought made Freya gulp. Her cold exterior had protected her all the previous years at school, and she managed to avoid any problems with her bloodline. The worst she'd ever encountered was Draco Malfoy teasing Hermione, but he knew better than to stray near the blonde. To be honest, she wasn't even sure anyone knew she came from a family of muggles besides those close to her.

"Freya?" A voice cut through the girls train of thought. She turned to see who was calling out her name and saw a lanky boy awaiting her.

"Neville!" A bright smile spread across Freya's face as she rushed over to pull him into a tight embrace, "Bloody hell, I've missed you."

"I've missed you too," Neville was relinquished from the girl's grip after a long squeeze and let out a laugh, "The letters don't do you justice."

"Well that's partially my fault," Freya admitted with a guilty expression, "I should've written more."

The two then spent a minute catching up before Ginny arrived to join them. They all said their goodbyes to Mrs. Weasley who did a very poor job at hiding her tears as the teenagers walked away.

"Anyone else scared?" Neville asked in hushed tone as they each pushed their belongs in front of them.

"Absolutely terrified."

"Meh," Ginny answered lightheartedly, "Can't be much worse than watching Ron eat spaghetti."