FORTY ONE

IT HAD BEEN A FEW days since the incident of Katie Bell's cursing and Harry had begun to express his thoughts that Draco Malfoy had something to do with it. Freya wasn't sure about her own thoughts on the subject, but she allowed Harry to vent his feelings to her. He had also shared with Professor McGonagall, who told him there was no proof in his accusation, and that he should let it go.

The biggest disbelievers however, were Ron and Hermione. The two seemed to believe Draco wasn't involved and easily rubbished Harry's theory.
So the blonde listened the boy wonder rant and ramble on the subject, she figured it was her duty as a friend to do so. Freya also found out about Harry's lessons with Dumbledore. The final thing the blonde learned, was that she found it incredibly cute when Harry pushed his jet black hair back out of his face to reveal his eyes. She would watch him as he talked and took note of his adorable mannerisms when he was frazzled or stressed. Her feelings for him were only growing stronger as the days went by.

The constant topic of Harry Potter was always running through her brain. It was one night when she was alone in her dormitory that she sat and truly pondered her relationship with the boy.

Freya remembered when he would sit outside her door for hours to talk to her. She also remembered him breaking, said door. At the time she was annoyed, but looking back she only wished she would have let him in more. She still felt that way sometimes, as much as her relationship with Harry had grown there was still things she hadn't shared with him, like her mother. It wasn't that she didn't think Harry would be understanding, in fact she was positive he would be incredibly supportive, but this entire year had been new for Freya and opening up still scared her. Bottling up her feelings certainly wasn't helping either.

She had thought about sharing her feelings with Ron, after all he had quickly become one of her closest friends. But she decided he was Harry's best friend long before the two knew each other, and confiding in him might not be the best idea. There was a boy however who she felt comfortable sharing with, her best friend Neville. The blonde befriended Longbottom during the DA and their relationship had been close ever since.

Freya went down into the common room with hope that Neville would be sitting in his usual spot by the fire. The two were typically found there during the winter. Lucky for her, the Longbottom boy was sitting in an armchair with a book in hand.

"Hey." Freya sat down next to him with sigh.

"Hey Freya." Neville looked up from his book and at the blonde, "Something wrong?" He noticed her defeated expression.

"No," She paused, "Kinda. I don't know."

"Would you like to talk about it?" The sandy haired boy put down his book and gave her his full attention.

Freya twiddled her thumbs as her brain scattered on how to say what she was feeling. She planned on saying more but all that came out was, "It's Harry."

Neville's eyebrows immediately raised as she said the boys name. Anyone could have figured out that something was going on between the two wizards, but the fact that Freya was addressing it truly surprised him, "And what about him?"

"Only the fact that I have a big, fat, stupid, undeniable, incurable crush on him." The words came tumbling right out of Freya's mouth, barely giving her time to processes what she was revealing.

"You like him." Neville felt a contagious smile forming, "That much?"

"So much Neville." Freya's head collapsed in her hands as she groaned, "I don't know what to do."

"Are you serious? Don't be daft Freya."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Her blonde hair flung back as she made eye contact again, only this time receiving a look that was saying are you kidding me Majors?

"The answer is incredibly obvious." Neville scrunched his face as he explained, "Ask him out."

"Excuse me?" Freya's eyes widened, "I can't do that!"

"Why not?" Neville slumped back into his chair with a half eye roll, "You like him don't you?"

"Of course I do, but-"

"Freya you are not some stupid love sick puppy," He told her firmly, "You are a very strong woman who is fully capable of going after what she wants."

Hearing Neville say those words calmed her slightly, but she still felt uneasy about what he was trying to tell her, "I don't know Neville, what if he doesn't like me as much as I like him? I mean we never even addressed our kiss last year, what if he didn't mean it?"

"YOU KISSED?" Neville's body flung forward in astonishment, making Freya's cheeks flush red as his mouth dropped open.

"Yeah."

"You need to ask him out," He decided suddenly, "It's obvious he has feelings for you too, and I mean he kissed you."

"That was before summer," Freya pointed out hesitantly, "His feelings might have changed."

"But they might not have."

The blonde was stumped hearing these things from Neville, but she couldn't disagree with them. Freya Majors was not a silly school girl trope, she was an independent woman who didn't need a man, granted there was one she wanted anyhow. Longbottom had a point, if her feelings were so intense, she needed to act on them. With a decisive manner, she stood up and headed for the door, "Where are you going?"

"To get what I want."

»»-------------¤-------------««

Freya Majors had never walked with such jittery purpose before. Her small figure strutted down the hallway, scanning for the raven haired boy she was looking so desperately for. She knew his lesson with Dumbledore ended around that time, so she could only hope she would catch him before he returned to the common room. Her palms were sweaty as she grew more nervous about how she planned on asking Harry out. She had never come close to asking a guy out, and the fact that she was best friends with him only made her more tense.

"Freya?" A voice called from behind her shaking stature, "Freya!"

She turned around to see Harry with his hair messed up like he had been stressfully playing with it, and his hands were shoved deep into his pockets, "How do you manage to always find me?"

"It's a special talent of mine."

"Well Hi." Freya bit her lip nervously as they both approached each other.

"Can we talk?" Harry said after a moment, every so often switching his position, but his green eyes remained intently on her.

"Actually yeah, I wanted to talk to you too." She swallowed hard.

"Oh? What about?" He looked at her with raised brows.

"You go first, you found me after all."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, go ahead." Freya prompted him, his anxious behavior only contributing to hers. Blood was rushing to her ears the more she looked at him, Freya had no idea how to say what she wanted to, and she had no idea what he was going to say to her in response. The blonde almost missed the words coming out of his mouth, but they suddenly hit her with a deafening volume.

"I don't think we can be friends anymore."