Chapter 41

Vivian's P. O. V:

I sit at the driver's seat of the magic mobile, my hands clutching the gear stick, as I steer us towards Gardenia Town as fast as I can, my light chestnut brown hair flying out behind me, an SE plug strapped to my right wrist.

An SE plug allows you to channel your magic power into this magic mobile to drive it.

As we go flying over a bump, Gray yells from the roof while everyone else is piled in the vehicle, "Slow down, Viv! You're going way too fast!"

"I can't slow down!" I reply. "We have to get to Gardenia Town as fast as we can. I know this lava monster Gramps spoke of. If it is who I think it is, we need to hurry."

"It would be a lot better if you'd told us who this guy is," Says Gray, teeth gritted.

"You'll find out when we get there," I tell him.

"Natsu! Don't do that! You'll fall out of the magic mobile!" Lucy exclaims, frantically trying to prevent the Fire Dragon Slayer from falling out the window. Sting and Rogue just lie slumped inside while being comforted by their Exceeds.

They've offered to lend us a hand after learning Gardenia Town is my hometown. Or, rather, Rogue did and forced Sting to come along. Sting had put Yukino in charge of Sabertooth.

"That's the whole idea," Natsu wheezes.

I ignore him as I continue for my hometown, silently praying I'm not too late.

                         🗡🗡🗡

We stop for camp that night in the woods and Natsu makes a small fire while Erza cooks the meal.

"Man, does it feel good to be out of that death trap!" Natsu sighs happily.

"You can say that again," Groans Sting. He lifts his head to where I'm sitting by a tree, my arm resting on my bent knee with a distant expression on my face. "I wonder what's her problem? She's been weird since we left."

"I dunno, but I think it has something to do with the so called monster attacking her hometown," Gray guesses, in his black boxers as usual.

"Can you blame her?" Asks Charlele. "This is Vivian's hometown we're talking about." She takes another glance at the ice wizard and starts at the sight of him being naked. "Your clothes, Gray!"

Gray jumps and flails about for his clothes.

Rogue takes up two fish in a stick and comes over to me.

"Here," He says, holding one out t me. I accept it with a thank you and blow on it as Rogue sits down beside me. He blows on his fish as I take a bite of mine. I feel Rogue gazing at me as I eat. "Gray says you know this lava monster. Do you want to talk about it?"

I finish swallowing but fall silent for a moment. I say quietly, "I'm not ready to talk about it yet. Just know that what Gray told you is true. I have a bit of a history with this mage." I meet Rogue's eyes. I quickly add, "But it's nothing like that. We were just friends." Rogue seems to relax at that. "At least, I thought we were until he changed..."

I trail off and fall silent again as I return to eating my fish. Rogue seems to get the hint and doesn't press for anymore answers, but he remains sitting beside me as we eat our dinner.

I was grateful for his presence. It was comforting.

"How much further till we get to Gardenia Town?" Rogue questions after awhile.

"Just two more days of travelling by magic mobile," I answer. "It was the quickest way to get there, which is why I took the mobile."

"Now I see."