Chapter 55

Vivian's P. O. V:

Gray says as we approach the frozen flame, "I haven't been able to do much about the ice in the village. It's immune to my Maker Magic. I sure as hell can't melt it. The only thing I can do is channel it through my body. I think that means this ice and my ice have something in common." He gazes up at the flame as he recalls his battle with Doriate.

Lucy exclaims in disbelief, "You're gonna channel that cursed ice through your body?!"

"I'm sure you'll handle it, but what will it let you do?" Wendy inquires as she steps up to Gray and I. She watches as Gray slams his hands on the ice.

"What I couldn't do before!" His hands start to glow like they did when he defeated Doriate. "Once it's been inside of me, I think that I'll be able to defuse it."

Flare looks at him as she asks, "That's amazing! But can you do it?"

"Won't know for sure until I try. That's why I'm not using this on the giants yet," He tells us. "Step 1 is to suck the ice right out of this mountain. I'm gonna give this giant flame some space to breathe. I'm not sure how this'll play out, so get back!" The ice begins to glow as steam wafts from it as it sublimates

It was only a few seconds before the ice disappears and there was no flame in sight. We all gasp. The Fullbuster clenches his jaw, no doubt thinking he may have failed.

"What happened?" Happy asks quietly.

Charlele asks, her paws covering her mouth, "Is there nothing left of it?"

"I didn't mean to..." Gray murmurs, trailing off as he gazes at the vacant spot where the flame should be flickering.

Overcome with sadness and disappointment, Flare drops to her knees and stares numbly at the altar. "It's not real."

I glance from the tense ice wizard to Wendy who suddenly stiffens. I ask, "What is it?"

Wendy whispers back, "I feel something."

I purse my lips and gaze at Gray's back, which is turned to the rest of us. My gaze softens as I know Gray must be feeling a tremendous amount of guilt for this. At that moment, something catches my eye. My hazel eyes narrow at some light coming from in front of Gray. "What is that?"

My comrades turn to me in confusion as they all chorus, questioning looks on their faces, "Huh?"

"I can feel it," Says Wendy, gaining all of our attention. "It has residual thought energy like with Zerconis."

"What does the Eternal Flame have to do with Zerconis?" Asks Charlele.

The bluenette points ahead of Gray, saying, "Over there. Something is shining."

The smoke then clears and we could clearly see the small flame flickering on the altar. Happy states, "It's lost a lot of its flame."

I say knowingly, "That must be the reason Warrod wanted Natsu to come."

"