Chapter 53: Finalists

As the crowd continued to cheer and shout, the Finalists that didn't have a match at that particular moment walked off the stage, exiting through one of the open archways that the competitors entered through. 

As the other Finalists exited the premises, the two people that were left on the stage were Nix and Lie Ren, both of whom were standing opposite one another in the central circle of the stage. Surrounding them were 4 different environments, each being filled to the brim with various ground-based Grimm, and as they stood face to face the announcer began explaining the stipulations of the top 8 matches. 

The man over the loudspeaker explained that the Grimm in these matches were not only more powerful but were also no longer confided to a specific area of the stage, so they could actively attack the competitors whenever and wherever. 

The basic rule of the pre-match tournament was that the participants were not allowed to pull their weapons/attack before the bell rang, but during the top 8 they were allowed to move around. 

These factors were seen almost immediately as once the announcement had been made and Nix and Lie Ren were confirmed to be ready, the Grimm immediately began attacking before the DING even sounded, giving Ren an extreme advantage as his presence disappeared with his Semblance.

The Grimm immediately attack Nix and she was forced to dodge the Grimm's attacks until the bell finally sounded, giving her the chance to pull out her weapon and immediately eviscerate the surrounding Grimm with her dagger, but Ren intelligently coordinated his attacks with the wave of Grimm that recklessly charged at the Faunus. 

This gave Ren multiple opportunities to swiftly attack Nix from various different angles, but each attack he launched was swiftly deflected or dodged by the Panther Faunus. This continued for a while until Nix managed to eliminate all of the attacking Grimm all while Ren was attacking her with his coordinated attacks, and once he noticed this change, Ren retreated for the forest to attempt his usual ambush style tactics. 

However, for the first time, Nix switched her dagger back into it's pistol form, aiming, and then firing directly at Ren's back. The concentrated freezing blast of the weapon slammed into Ren's back, the force of the attack knocking him completely off guard and left him skidding across the floor as he fell to the ground. 

Instead of pushing back up, Nix just ended the match with two more powerful shots of her hand cannon, each icy shot meeting its target, putting Ren's Aura in the Red, and ending the match swiftly.

As the match finished, Nix helped Ren to his feet, giving him a handshake before the two of them walked off the stage in order to give way to the next contestants. On their way out, Nora tackled her lover aggressively, slamming him to the ground and pelting his face with kisses as she told him good of a job he did. 

While Nora continued to praise Ren, her name was called to enter back onto the stage as her match was about to begin, so she kissed Ren goodbye as she ran to center stage, standing happily across from Weiss Schnee.