prologue

Word Count - 1,300 words

Y/n reached her hand out to the rain, catching the raindrops with her palm.

She kept a neutral face, despite liking the cold feeling of the rainwater on her hand. Her e/c-eyes stared up at the night sky, it's dark and it's pouring.

The rain isn't that heavy, but it's enough to soak the surroundings.

It's already twelfth in the midnight, she was going for a night stroll when the rain suddenly poured, and kept her stuck waiting inside the Lotus pavilion.

(Lotus pavilion - is a place inside the Eldian imperial palace in where the emperor resides whenever he wishes to unwind during his free time)

"Empress..."

The h/c-haired woman was taken aback, hearing a familiar voice behind her.

She looked back, only to be surprised, seeing her husband. The emperor.

"Your Majesty." Y/n bowed to the emperor as a curtsy, which the emperor acknowledged by nodding his head. "What brings you here? It's not good for you to be outside tonight, it's raining." The h/c-haired woman looked behind her husband.

She raised a brow seeing that the emperor doesn't have his royal knight or any of his maidservants. "And why are you alone, you can't-"

Y/n was taken aback when her husband smiled at her, she went silent while she stared at the emperor. He shouldn't be smiling...what's gotten into his majesty?

"You sound just like a wife, Empress."

The h/c-haired lady felt confused. She doesn't get what the emperor is trying to say. "Pardon? But I am your wife, your majesty." Y/n said, her tone was laced with confusion, but she still sounded polite.

She has to be polite. It's the emperor she's talking to. Even if she is his wife, she still has to be respectful.

"You are...but you only act as an empress."

Y/n wasn't able to say anything.

She only stared at her husband, and for a moment, she was lost into his icy, blue-eyes. Her calm heart suddenly skipped a beat while she stared at her husband's gorgeous face.

"Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to offend you or what. What I'm trying to say is that...you're more of an empress to me, than my wife. Hearing you nag me...feels so different from how you only talk to me about political affairs." The emperor stood beside her, he kept his hands behind him as he stared up at the dark, and night sky with pouring rain.

The h/c-haired woman immediately looked away when her husband looked at her. Somehow, she feels nervous.

"We've been married for how many years already, empress?"

Y/n cleared her throat, she's doing her best not to show any change in her stoic expression.

"I've been an empress for six years already, your majesty." The emperor nodded, he kept his eyes on his wife.

"Six years..."

Y/n looked at the emperor, her brows furrowed, seeing melancholy on her husband's eyes.

"We've been neglecting each other for six years already."

The emperor faced her, staring straight into her eyes, making her feel flustered (but of course, she won't show it to her husband.) "I'm sorry."

Empress Y/n raised a brow.

"For what, your majesty?"

Her husband looked down, his lips turning up into a bitter smile.