part xlii

Word Count - 1,160 words

When Y/n thought the emperor would accompany her in a meeting with Zeke Jaeger, she thought wrong. Turns out, that the emperor just wanted her in his office right after she finishes her meeting with Zeke. At least that's what Erwin told her.

"I see...so the funds for my new foundation have been settled? I'm glad that everything is going well." Y/n's eyes are focused on the folder of papers that Zeke had given to her.

The blond man kept quiet, he stared at the empress with serious yet longing eyes. The h/c-haired woman looked at him. "Zeke...is there something wrong? You're so quiet..."

He smiled a bit, masking off his real emotions. "Sorry...I was just thinking of something." The blond man sighed.

"Do you have a problem?" Y/n asked.

She sounded so worried and concerned, and Zeke knows why. It's because they're friends. Of course, Y/n would be concerned and worried for him. Y/n's a kind person.

"Hmm...I guess I do have a problem."

"You know you can tell me anything, unless you don't want to, then I won't force you..."

Y/n kept the papers to her side, she focused all her attention at the blond guy in front of her. Suddenly, she remembered the time she saw Zeke at a PUB, but the blond guy didn't even smile nor wave at her. It made her frown, but then she thought that maybe Zeke was already problematic at that time.

"Your majesty...are you happy?" Zeke asked.

The h/c-haired woman was taken aback by her friend's question. "Huh? Why are you asking?" Y/n asked, her tone was laced with confusion. Because she really is confused.

Why is Zeke asking her that question?

"I want to make you happy."

Y/n's brows shot-up, she wasn't able to say anything. Zeke stood up. She saw how the blond guy clenched his fists, and hesitated if he should go to her or not. "...my lady..."

She was surprised once again.

It's been so long since Zeke called her that.

Zeke made his way towards her, causing her to stand up. She was just about to speak and asked what could be wrong, but she was surprised to find herself in the blond guy's arms. Zeke embraced her so tight.

"Zeke...what are you..."

"I want to make you happy, my lady."

What...why is he...

"I don't know why you're saying this or why...but Zeke..." Y/n sighed. She thinks that maybe Zeke is just really having problems.

"Your poems makes me happy."

Zeke's embrace of her tightened, as if he didn't want to ever let her go any longer.

"No...I want it to be me."

Huh?

"I want to be the one who makes you smile, the one who will do things for you, the one who makes you feel like you're the most beautiful woman in this world, the most special person to have ever existed. I want to be the one to love you, my lady. Me..."

Y/n's eyes widened, she was just speechless.

She stared at nowhere, as her mind began to remember the past. She knew that back then Zeke liked her, she didn't even know...

That until now, Zeke still likes her.

"Z-Zeke..."

She held Zeke's arm, and carefully pushed him away. The blond guy swallowed the lump on his throat. She stepped back, not wanting to keep a close space between them. Now that she knows the truth.

"I thought I told you back then...you cannot have feelings for me." Y/n seriously said.

Zeke shut his eyes. Even before Y/n told him that six years ago, he didn't know that he wasn't allowed to like a maiden like Y/n.

"I can't do it...to forget how I feel. I can't."

Y/n shook her head, she took another step back. Now that she knows how Zeke really feels towards her, it feels wrong. Not only for her, but also for Zeke.

"I am a married woman, Zeke. I am the emperor's woman. You can't...continue this. You'll get in trouble for this." Y/n said.

Zeke starer at her, eyes looking grim and brows furrowed. "Yes, you are a married woman, you are the emperor's woman..."

The h/c-haired woman's eyes became glossy, just seeing Zeke looking hurt, hurts her, too. "Does he feel the same way? I've stayed by your side, and always saw how you looked so sad deep inside being with a man like him. You're married to him, but is there even love in your marriage, Y/n?"

"Stop...you're crossing the line-"

"You've cried a lot of times because of him, you were lonely for six years...yet you're still staying? You even look like you want to defend him. Why, my lady? Is it because he finally loves you?"

Y/n clenched her fists, she's not liking how Zeke is talking to her. "Leave. I can't have this conversation with you, Mr. Jaeger. I'll pretend this didn't happen, so just leave."

She turned her back on Zeke, as she was about to walk out, Zeke said something to make her frozen standing in her place.

"Y/n, if...I became the emperor, would you stay beside me?"

Her eyes widened, she looked back at Zeke with disbelief. Tears streamed down to her cheeks upon seeing the sudden change of look in Zeke's face.

It felt like, the Zeke she knows is already gone.

"If I become the emperor, will I finally be able to hold you? If I steal the throne from your husband, would you become mine?"

"Zeke, no...y-you can't do that!!"

The h/c-haired woman walked towards Zeke, she grabbed his shirt and shook him.

"Don't ever do that! I am happy, Zeke. I really am. You don't need to worry about me anymore. His majesty loves me, and I do, too. I care for his children, and I cherish what I have right now...so don't think of me anymore, and...don't do anything that will only put you in misery...please..."

Y/n looked down, she closed her eyes, letting more of her tears escape her eyes.

It's my fault.

I...probably led him on without even realizing it.

"I can't do that..."

The h/c-haired woman looked up at Zeke with pure disbelief, now speechless.

Zeke sadly smiled at her, he cupped her face, as he gently wiped her tears.

"Because I've decided to be selfish."

Just when things seemed to have finally followed her desired way, but at the same time, chaos found a way to mess it up.

Y/n is about to enter another big problem that will not only affect her, but everyone around her, even the empire she's living in.

All because of her.
_______________________________________

:)