part lviii

Word Count - 2,955 words

(Reader's Point-of-View)

Four years of not knowing anything...

Four years of not being able to speak...

Was a torture to me.

"Erwin..."

I thought I would remain mute for the rest of my life, that I would remain clueless for eternity. But what I thought was wrong.

The second time I lost my consciousness because of the unbearable pain in my head, I remembered fragments of my memories.

I remembered how I was born and where I grew up. I remembered my family from a vast kingdom.

I remembered that I was an illegitimate child of the King of Marley, and that the woman who gave birth to me was a commoner who became a concubine after meeting the king.

I also remembered that I have a younger brother, we do not share the same mother, but in my memories, we seemed to be so close to one another.

All I remembered was my maiden life.

But I do remember one specific memory.

It was when I met a man.

His face was blurry in my memory, his voice was unclear, yet I felt his warmth and comfort. I dreamed of him in my sleep, for how many times, yet I still can't remember him.

"Erwin..."

But I do know his name because I said it myself. The man I want to remember but I can't, his name is Erwin. Who is he...?

"He is your husband. The emperor of the Eldian empire, my father...and Elizabeth's father. But most especially...he's the man you married because you love him truly."

Erwin...

My eyes closed on their own, tears streaming down to my cheeks. Even after hearing who he is, I can't still remember.

But my heart aches like its being shattered.

Hearing his name, and knowing he is...

Is enough to break my heart, to break me.

Its strange how this is more painful than any physical and emotional pain I've felt.

"And you, you are Y/n Tybur-Smith."

I opened my eyes and looked at Eleanor. This young lady in front of me, she says she's Erwin's daughter, she is a princess from the Eldian empire.

And she says that I am her second mother.

Yet I can't remember her.

But I do feel a connection between us.

"You were from the Marleyan kingdom. The eldest child and illegitimate daughter of the previous Marleyan king. You got married to my father for a peace treaty between the Marleyan kingdom and our empire...you are the empress of the Eldian empire."

My hands fell onto my side.

I suddenly feel weak. Maybe hearing all these things in just a day exhausted me.

"D-do you still not remember...?"

Eleanor asked, teary-eyed.

She's been crying since she started telling me all she knows about me.

I know that she's hoping I will remember.

I closed my eyes and held my head, sighing from the painful throb in my head, and my ears could hear low screeching sounds.